Got my 2010 public land 6X6 back - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Got my 2010 public land 6X6 back

Hey all,

Just picked up my 2010 6X6 from the taxidermist this past Sat. Public land, do-it-yourself hunt at 12K feet. Was a special bull for me, 3 of us were horribly sick w/ the flu for 3 days in a row in 2' snow, in a high-mtn tent. Coming out non-stop from both ends, we never quit and hunted everday thru the pain. After knocking it down, quartering in a white-out 2 hrs into dark....we stumbled back to camp w/ what we could and passed out. I've never felt so close to death in my life....

After a long, cold evening of running in/out of the tent every 10 minutes....I woke up the next am, my buddy who I grew up with, looked at me and said Ran, we gotta get you off the mtn you are in bad shape, and I will take you down in a sled (the 6 miles) if I have to. I looked at him and said, I'll die up here before I leave my elk, you can go on w/o me. He looked at me and said, well ok then, let's go get your bull!

As we struggled to our feet, and headed into the snow-destroyed mtn side we went together, side by side (the other guy had left the day before to go back to work) and the 2 of us got him out in 1 trip by ourselves.

It was the quite the site for sure, watching two guys stumble down the mtn w/ full packs, pulling a sled full of meat....each stopping every 1/4 mile to yack. It was an expierience I'd just soon never repeat but will never forget, and thus we nicknamed him the Battered Bull. Broken tines, clearly a survival warrior, we were all beat up after that ordeal....it seemed fitting.

Was a super trip, heading back out w/ the same crew this Thurs, here's hoping to better health this time around. People chide me and say, yeah, sounds like a great trip, nearly dying sick as a dog at 12K feet, you should go back. And I said, you better believe i will!

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Re: Got my 2010 public land 6X6 back

Congrats! You earned him! I was in the same situation once, but I was fishing and the hotel was 5 miles away And I thought I was tough Great Bull and a great story

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great story, great mount, and a great friend you have there. I don't think the picture does any justice to the size of that thing until you take note that it's mounted just several inches above the outlet box in the wall !! WOW !!! Congrats.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Beautiful mount, way to stick it out and that sounds like a good friend you have there too.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas.....yep Valkrider, it's 9' ceilings in my Man Cave and it's a few inches from touching the ceiling. You forget how huge they are sometimes, until you see your excited 6 yr old kid standing next to it and he's not even as tall as the elk's neck is long!

A very special bull for me. I was actually surprised at how emotional I became after seeing him at the taxedermist. Toughing it out like that when every part of my being was desperate to get off the mtn....def can test a man.

Here's a quick pic of the bull in the field for giggles.

Forgive me in the pic, I was a pretty sick dog, def a bit green. I'm 6' tall....amazing animals.

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Very Nice!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Nice bull and great story my friend. Sproul
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM

Good read!

HPA All-Star
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 AM

perseverance and tenacity to the Nth degree. I recall yout writing of this last year and was in awe. You cashed a lot of chips in on that hunt and beyond getting another bull no need to repeat the yaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page