Question on .300 Win Mag Ammo for Bear and bucks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Question on .300 Win Mag Ammo for Bear and bucks

Have any of you used 180 grain hornady superformance ssts for bear before and what do you think of them? I have a Howa .300 win with a 4-12 Redfield scope on it. I bought this set up exclusively for bear and big bucks, after i was under gunned on a 550-600lb bear last season. I know its more about shot placement than anything else but being new to bear hunting last year i just took my Savage .270 with federal 130 grain powershocks not even expecting to see a bear but when the bear stepped out at 175 yards i took a quartering away shot lining up on the farside shoulder, at the shot i knocked the bear forward up on his nose and i thought i had him. As soon as his back feet hit the ground he was gone though and we didn't find any blood but i saw that i hit the bear. I scoured the entire surrounding area the following day with no sign of the bear, we saw him about a month later though with no visible injury and he has been showing back up a few times this summer. I don't want to make the same mistake twice if i get lucky enough to have that chance again. I'm not used to shooting at an animal more than once i take my time and make the first shot count, but most people i have talked to say that you rarely get bears with one shot but they are primarily drivers where my father in law and i just sit in our deerstands and watch the bucks chase the does around. Even if you haven't used this round i would like to hear your input on a good .300 round. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Re: Question on .300 Win Mag Ammo for Bear and bucks

I've taken 7 elk and 2 bears with my 300. I found my gun likes the cheap winchester 180 grains. I tried the more expensive shells and found these give me the best group. Never had to shoot anything more than once, never had one run, never lost anything.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

If he is still running around you didn't hit him well to begin with. No bear alive is going to shake off a .270 130 grain in the boiler room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
If he is still running around you didn't hit him well to begin with. No bear alive is going to shake off a .270 130 grain in the boiler room.
I agree. Back to the 300 Win Mag load. I would load up with a controlled expansion bullet ie. Nosler Partition,Barnes TSX etc. I also would go with the heavier bullets weights, 180grs and up.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was looking for nosler but grices didn't have any,my howa 243 loves them as for the bear i think i hit the outside of the shoulder blade and with the angle it deflected away.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

win supreme 180 gr ball tip.taken alot of game with them .ill never shoot anything else.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Bears at times seem easy to kill and other times seem bullet proof. Hanging around bear camp in Maine, hear lots of stories of bears hit with lots of different calibers. What appears to be a good hit may go askew when a bullet strikes a rib or edge of the shoulder blade, etc. You're assuming your bullet drove straight through, which may not be the case. Nothing against the 270, but most serious bear hunters seem to prefer 30 caliber and up, standard or mag. The 180 Hornady load should be a winner, never used it but know of many bears taken with similar bullet/load.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 AM

barnes tsx..... next question
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 AM

barnes, swift a frame, trophy bonded bear claws.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Just shot those hornady 180 gr. sst
Same group as winchester 180 gr. Xp3
Hornady's 20$ box cheaper 35$ vs.55$

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page