tip for elk guide - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

tip for elk guide

I know this has been talked about in the past, but what is a fair tip for an elk guide and a cook at a camp? I know it depends on how hard the guide had to work, so just looking for a ballpark figure or % of the cost of the hunt. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: tip for elk guide

I usually give the cook about $50.00 to $100.00 and my guide anywhere from $200.00 to 300.00. No right or wrong answer here. I don't base my tips off of a percentage of hunt cost.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Some people might call me cheap but i have never tipped a guide. I have never been on a fully guided hunt though. I have been on fair amount of semi guided hunts. Maybe if i went on a fully guided hunt and the guide was awesome i might think about it. I just personally think tipping is nonsense. I love the places that add it to your bill automatically. Got in a heated discussion with a manager at red lobster once about this. The service was crap and so the tip will reflect that. I told the guy i dont have to tip at all. There is no law that i have to tip. Nobody is going to tell me what to tip. Whoever started the whole tipping thing ought to be slapped. They ought to pay the workers at least min wage and if there is good service then tip if not then don't.

Common sense isn't very common these days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I give them what I think they earned. I do not tip them just because they were there. One thing is universal though, tip a good guide in cash. Trust me, he does not want your new knife, whats left of your box of shells, etc., that is insulting to them.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Comparing an elk guide to a waitress at Red Lobster? I'll bet you never use the same outfitter more than once for your semi guided hunts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:13 AM

I'm with Peeper on this one. The Guide is doing his job...He gets paid for it.

I am a carpenter. I do my job....I get paid for it. You are already spending alot of money on the home repairs...You don't have to "TIP" me

The guide is getting paid for doing his job...You spent alot of money to go hunt elk. Then, If you are succesful, you will spend alot more money.

No "Tip" required.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
I give them what I think they earned.
you mean like, on top of the 4,000 I already paid for the hunt?? What they've earned above and beyond that?

I am also one who is often uncertain of why we tip at all.

But I will say this, I leave on my trip on Thursday morning, and I am hoping I have a good reason to give the guide a big tip! I'll have the $100's in my pocket. Hope he puts me on something great!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

I always tip depending on the hunt quality - how hard the guide works for you. It is very easy to tell if you have a good guide. I also only pay in cash as they usually have a ton of knives etc. which do not pay for groceries.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Regular Visitor

tipping guides first mates etc. is much different than tipping waitstaff...your comparing apples to oranges...unless your taking your rod and reel to the lobster tank.....a tip should always be based primarily on service...if it is a 10,000 hunt with 3000 service no tip if it is a 4000 hunt with 10,000 service give a tip...i am in favor of pay scales relying on tipping...incentive based salary is a great motivator

"Thats what we do"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Those restaurants that add the gratuity are a bunch of bull. I never went on a guided hunt, but doubt I'd tip at all. I don't get a tip for doing my job everyday. The best with tipping was a couple weeks ago I had a gunsafe delivered from cabelas. Cost me over 200 bucks. All the guys had to do was back to my garage, use the lift gate to lower it down. And handtruck it 30' into the garage, that's it. They actually asked for a tip. I told them to get lost, which they apparently did because I saw them drive back by my house several times afterwards, seems they couldn't find what road to take.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page