Took my bear gun to the range.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Took my bear gun to the range....

....and had a sow & cub walk right up beside me!

I really took my muzz to the range to check zero and play with loads before the upcoming doe season. I didn't get as much done with that as I wanted, but I'm certainly set for the season....I just like to shot it and play around with different loads. I drug my 444 along for fun and to break up the shoot, clean, wait, load, repeat cycle....big bores are just plain to shoot!

I was cleaning the muzz(between shots) and caught movement about 30 yards away at the edge of the woods....about 200# sow with a 80ish pound cub. I yelled at them(the guns didn't seem to bother them....what they heck is me yelling gonna do????) momma sent the youngin' up the closest pine and she stayed at the bottom. Like an idiot I decided to maneuver around a little and try to snap a pic with my phone. Momma wasn't so keen to that and started and hopping on her front legs and making 'that noise' that I can't even describe(those of you that've heard it know EXACTLY what it is!). I decided at that point that I should probably load the rifle just in case and forget about the phone!

I did just that and kept a close eye on her for a while. Cub came down after a about 10 minutes and they both just walked off down a shallow ravine. That sow wasn't real happy with me! She did the teeth popping, snarly thing a couple times. I thought she was gonna get all uppity for a bit, but she never got too excited....I was a little nervous though. Kept my eyes out for any other cubs, but never saw another.

Those are the first two bears I've seen this year(very abnormal!). They're also the first bears I've ever had in my presence when I've actually been carrying my bear rifle!

I'm not gonna lie....I know exactly what a bear looks like through my peep with a green fiber optic pin centered on it's vitals!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Re: Took my bear gun to the range....

hopefully a good omen for you - although for me, it is like seeing a big buck in bear season - once that happens, I never see a big buck in deer season...

anyway, neat story
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great post, glad all turned out ok.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 AM

I hope you learned a lesson! Do not mess with a sow Bear with cubs! They do not play.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTigerTrout
I hope you learned a lesson! Do not mess with a sow Bear with cubs! They do not play.
Learned that lesson a long time ago! I was just moving around the shooting bench when she got a little ornery. She was going to walk right up to me until I yelled and moved.

I never really felt very threatened....just a little nervous. It was a cool experience. I wish I would have gotten a pic, but I'm not all bent out of shape that I didn't either!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1
hopefully a good omen for you - although for me, it is like seeing a big buck in bear season - once that happens, I never see a big buck in deer season...

anyway, neat story
Yeah, that's generally how it goes for me too! I'm thinking it's a sign....couple years ago a guy in front of me shot a bear just as I was letting the other drivers in our line know there was a guy up in front of us. Watched him pull up and shoot....never did see the bear though!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTigerTrout
Learned that lesson a long time ago! I was just moving around the shooting bench when she got a little ornery. She was going to walk right up to me until I yelled and moved.

I never really felt very threatened....just a little nervous. It was a cool experience. I wish I would have gotten a pic, but I'm not all bent out of shape that I didn't either!
Glad to hear it worked out. I have had several close calls through the years but not to the extent that mama Bear would pop her teeth or anything. I have hunted Bears for nearly 40 years and have yet to connect on one. See them every year but never in season. Good luck to you.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

For some reason the shooting didn't bother her at all. Then I startled her when I yelled at her....pretty sure that's what made her uneasy. I figured if she got an closer though I was the one that was going to be pretty uneasy!

This isn't the first time I've had bears popping teeth. It's happened a few times over the years....usually it's when I'm archery scouting and scare one in a clear-cut or out of a log pile. Those are always tense moments too, but they've always been over in seconds!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page