A Road Hunt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A Road Hunt?

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/o...241363616.html

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was not there and have no clue what took place, But Jack and his crew have always run a first class operation. Time will tell what actually took place, dang shame though.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:36 AM
dce
Sage

“Elk County Outfitters was both saddened and angered when we learned that one of our 2019 hunts was put under investigation,” owner Jack Manack stated. “Something so special to a lucky hunter has been totally ruined. We’re not talking about just an elk rack or a freezer full of meat here, we’re talking about something hunters hold more dearly than that. The memory. The story. That’s gone. These things have been taken and cannot be given back.

“That is the shame here,” Manack continued. “That is the one and only crime that has been committed, and those committing that crime have no accountability, have no penalty, and pay no price for false accusations.”

Maybe my reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired but is Manack defending the hunter and his guides? I don't know these people but The man turned turned them in is a long-time personal friend of mine.I'm not sure how they guide or run their operation but a customer of mine drew a cow tag the first year of the hunt and hired them as his guide.The way he described it to me at the time sounded an awful lot like a road hunt.He was an older fella with limited mobility but I remember thinking,wow,you paid $1k for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM

i wasnt there but its also perfectly legal to be driving down a road, spot some game, get out and hunt as long as a person is a certain distance from the vehicle and not shooting from the vehicle or the road. the vehicle has to be parked, turned off, and the hunter has to be at least 25 yards off the road.

Quote:
The charges include unlawful devices and methods (using a motor vehicle to locate elk), shooting on or across highways (shooting at the elk after alighting from a vehicle while being within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the roadway) and unlawful taking of game.

cant determine the distance from a video. is someone going to measure it ? that can be challenged in court as well. it seems the entire case is going to hinge on the 25 yard rule. if they were more than 25 yards the other charges dont apply.
BBB likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 03-23-2020 at 09:58 AM.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:43 AM
dce
Sage

No it is not.If you spot an animal from your vehicle,you're using a vehicle to locate game.It's 100% illegal.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i wasnt there but its also perfectly legal to be driving down a road, spot some game, get out and hunt as long as a person is a certain distance from the vehicle and not shooting from the vehicle or the road. the vehicle has to be parked, turned off, and the hunter has to be at least 25 yards off the road.
On the first monday of rifle season this year,my son and I were driving to our spot after lunch and I spotted a slammer of a buck laying down over a bank,not 50 yards from the road.I could have driven up the road 100 yards,let my son out and he could have easily snuck up on it and shot it.I tested him and he scoffed at me.It would have been 100% illegal to let him do that and a real cheesy way to kill anything.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I don't know if they broke the law, don't know if they didn't. It will all come out in the wash.

But I will say if I ever got an elk tag, even if I hired a guide, and I doubt I would, I would want to be there through the whole thing. If the guides are out looking I want to be one pace behind them. If my health wouldn't let me keep up I'd be there by the truck watching and waiting. I would not want somebody to call me and say "we found your elk, come get it." and take a day to "relocate" it. That not the same as the hunter that was there every day and involved from the start. To me anyway.

Im an independent cuss and don't think I would enjoy being led. I have a friend that just always seems to know where elk would be found, or bear, or deer, or turkeys, and I would take his advice as to where to hunt and scout it best I could. If I ended up with my tag in my hand at least I had the hunt. The kill is the least of it all for me.

Not saying there is any wrong with somebody else finding your elk while your not even there, just saying its not a hunt I would want for myself.
dce, coyotejohn, bohunr and 3 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 AM

there was another thread here not to long ago discussing "road hunting". i think it was determined that if an individual was driving down the road and saw a groundhog, deer, turkey, any game. they could pull over, park and turn off the vehicle and pursue the game. they have to be 25 yards from the road.

it was also determined that if i am sitting a vehicle eating lunch and a deer appears i can get out and shoot from the edge of the road, the 25 yard rule didnt apply as i wasnt driving. i can also sit on a guard rail and watch for deer and shoot from that spot as long as i am not shooting across the traveled portion of said road.
BBB and Mussgrass like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
I don't know if they broke the law, don't know if they didn't. It will all come out in the wash.

But I will say if I ever got an elk tag, even if I hired a guide, and I doubt I would, I would want to be there through the whole thing. If the guides are out looking I want to be one pace behind them. If my health wouldn't let me keep up I'd be there by the truck watching and waiting. I would not want somebody to call me and say "we found your elk, come get it." and take a day to "relocate" it. That not the same as the hunter that was there every day and involved from the start. To me anyway.

Im an independent cuss and don't think I would enjoy being led. I have a friend that just always seems to know where elk would be found, or bear, or deer, or turkeys, and I would take his advice as to where to hunt and scout it best I could. If I ended up with my tag in my hand at least I had the hunt. The kill is the least of it all for me.

Not saying there is any wrong with somebody else finding your elk while your not even there, just saying its not a hunt I would want for myself.
Some lion hunters out west once employed tactics that I believe are now outlawed. They would book a hunter for a cat hunt , who would often stay back at a hotel when the hunt started. The guides would set out with their hounds, driving until a good track was found in the snow, or until the rigged dog picked up scent, on top of the box in the back of the truck. Nothing wrong with rigging or using snow machines or a truck to start a track. The dogs would run the track, and if a good cat was treed, a call was made back to town and someone would haul up the hunter to kill the cat. The pack of hounds usually would hold the cat in the tree for a while, but not indefinitely.

Cat hunting is tough, particularly in deep snow. It’s not for everyone. Cats usually won’t run as far as bears once the dogs open up, I’ve seen bears cover 20 miles. But cat terrain can be steep, and outfitters tried to take the work out of it for their hunters by leaving them back until they treed one.

I know some states have taking measures to outlaw these methods. They mandated that the hunter had to be present when the dogs were cast on the trail and had to remain on site while the track was run. They could still remain back at the truck or snowmobile, and wait for a call from the guides as to the outcome of the track.
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
there was another thread here not to long ago discussing "road hunting". i think it was determined that if an individual was driving down the road and saw a groundhog, deer, turkey, any game. they could pull over, park and turn off the vehicle and pursue the game. they have to be 25 yards from the road.

it was also determined that if i am sitting a vehicle eating lunch and a deer appears i can get out and shoot from the edge of the road, the 25 yard rule didnt apply as i wasnt driving. i can also sit on a guard rail and watch for deer and shoot from that spot as long as i am not shooting across the traveled portion of said road.
If you locate any game as you're driving you can't shoot it,regardless of how far you are from the road.The 25 ft only applies if you pull into where you planned on hunting and see game.In that case,you have to get 25 ft off the road.If you're driving down the road and see a gobbler in the field.you can't even get out,hike into the woods and call it in and kill it.If they were driving around and saw that elk,they were road hunting and broke the law.I wasn't there and didn't see the video but if that's what the footage shows,they'll be prosecuted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in