Pope and Young Club Names New World Record Black Bear During Special Panel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By casey
  • 1 Post By simoncool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Pope and Young Club Names New World Record Black Bear During Special Panel

https://pope-young.org/information/n...Dy2z-OCYW_krzw

On Saturday, February 8th, the Pope and Young Club convened a Special Panel of Judges in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, during the Great American Outdoors Show, for a potential P&Y World Record Black Bear. Jeff Melillos’ massive bear scored 23 5/16 and is now the largest bow-harvested black bear in North America. The bear was shot in Morris County, New Jersey, on October 14th, 2019. Measurers present at the Special Panel were (pictured L to R) Dan Lynch, of Pennsylvania, P&Y Director of Records, Eli Randall, Terry Mollett of Pennsylvania, and Timothy Walsh of New Jersey. With a final score of 23 5/16, Jeff’s bear was confirmed as the new P&Y World Record Black Bear. This bear surpasses the previous World Record shot by Robert J. Shuttleworth Jr., taken in Mendocino County, California, on September 4th, 1993, with a score of 23 3/16.

"It has been an inspiring journey, to say the least,” said Jeff Melillo. “New Jersey, my home state, has its First-Ever World Record Animal! Many years ago, I read an article in Outdoor Life Magazine stating that the New World Record Black Bear will most likely come from New Jersey. They were spot on, and I never doubted it for one second. I'm very grateful that I get to be a part of all this. Pursuing bears with bow and arrow is a passion of mine. I’d also like to recognize the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife for the outstanding effort they put into the management of New Jersey Black Bears. The dedication from our biologists, technicians, and Conservation Officers, make this all possible. I'd also like to give a big thanks to United Bow Hunters of New Jersey. Their organization had a lot to do with getting a bowhunting season for New Jersey black bears. Without their efforts, I would not be writing this."

You can see the life-size mount of this incredible animal at the P&Y Annual Convention in Virginia, March 26th- 28th, as part of the Bass Pro/Cabela’s Trophy Tower. The largest display of World Record, North American, bow-harvested, big-game animals ever assembled.

"I knew I was going to be looking at an impressive Black Bear skull, as it was officially measured at over 23 inches and weighed in at 700 pounds,” said Eli Randall, Records Director for the Pope and Young Club. “I was not prepared for the amount of mass the skull possessed, not only was the skull huge, but the bone structure was the heaviest I had ever seen. Congratulations to Jeff Melillo on harvesting this outstanding black bear. This is a true testament to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and a shining beacon of what can be accomplished with efforts and funds being dedicated to wildlife."

This World Record Black Bear has been entered into the 32nd recording period representing entries accepted into the P&Y Records Program from January 1st, 2019, to December 31st, 2020. At the close of every biennial recording period, numerical awards and honorable mentions are awarded to the most outstanding bow-harvested animals in each species category that have been entered during this two-year recording period. New World's Records are verified and proclaimed, and awards are presented to these outstanding animals during the Pope and Young Club's Biennial Convention and Awards Banquet.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 PM
The Man

Back in the late 80's a bear was illegally shot in Norther Lycoming County that Scored 23 3/16. At the time it was the 2nd largest black bear ever recorded in North America. At the time the largest ever recorded was a black bear in Utah that was found dead and measured 23 10/16. These were of course not counted for the books because they were not fair chase animals, but were number one and two for the largest skulls ever measured on the North American continent.

The bear shot in Northern Lycoming was shot by a group of W VA hunters (a doctor and his 2 sons) on Dec. 29, 1987 on their cabin lands near White Pine PA. They then took it to W VA and claimed to have shot it there, where bear was in season. Local W VA officials knew a bear of such size was highly unlikely in W VA, investigated, and the poachers were found out and prosecuted.

I never saw the bruin when alive, but knew of him and knew a couple of guys who had seen him while still alive. What a waste.

That NJ bear was a brute!
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

congrats to Mr. Melillo and thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Back in the late 80's a bear was illegally shot in Norther Lycoming County that Scored 23 3/16. At the time it was the 2nd largest black bear ever recorded in North America. At the time the largest ever recorded was a black bear in Utah that was found dead and measured 23 10/16. These were of course not counted for the books because they were not fair chase animals, but were number one and two for the largest skulls ever measured on the North American continent.

The bear shot in Northern Lycoming was shot by a group of W VA hunters (a doctor and his 2 sons) on Dec. 29, 1987 on their cabin lands near White Pine PA. They then took it to W VA and claimed to have shot it there, where bear was in season. Local W VA officials knew a bear of such size was highly unlikely in W VA, investigated, and the poachers were found out and prosecuted.

I never saw the bruin when alive, but knew of him and knew a couple of guys who had seen him while still alive. What a waste.

That NJ bear was a brute!
I believe that bear is on display in Cabelas.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nope ^^^^ at state office of the game commission
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 01:56 PM
New Arrival

That bear shot in lycoming was shot on the ground that bordered our old lease. The groundskeeper up there said they poached the smaller of the 2 he knew about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page