Cost to butcher elk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Cost to butcher elk

Going out to Colorado for elk later in the year and assuming I'm successful, how much can I expect to pay just to get an elk butchered, without any additional products made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cost to butcher elk

I suggest to get a better idea search on Google fora butcher in that area you are hunting and give them a call. this will help establish a relationship as well.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mine cost me $225 for steaks, roasts and burger meat. It came frozen and boxed for airplane weight. I had to open it up to add dry ice for the drive to Denver, then get rid of the dry ice for the flight. do not seal the boxes before check in. They make you prove there is no dry ice and make you tape them shut in front of them.

Southwest airlines was great. I was warned away from the others. Their computer told them that I had brought fish back from alaska within the last few years and that entitled me to a free bag. Before going to the airport my buddy and I UPS'd our bow cases back home to save a little money and make all the gear more manageble.

Good luck!

Also had a European mount done out there for about $350. Shipping it home was also about as much but be sure to have it shipped to your favorite sporting goods store if you have a relationship with the owner. It is a lot cheaper to ship to a business than to ship to a residence for some reason. It came overland in a hand made crate with the thickest PVC/Plastic sheeting I've ever seen all trussed up like it was suspended in a spider web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Two or three hundred is about right. If we have time we always butcher it ourselves, then pack it for the flight, saves alot when you have a few elk and deer to deal with, but not a big expense for just one animal. Be careful, once you get spoiled on elk meat you are going to go back every year !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Banned

to go a bit further, how much to ship the meat back to PA from Colorado? I'll be finding out soon enough (I hope!) but wonder if anyone on here has already done it?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 AM
GMO
Part of the Community

200.00 for cut, wrap, and frozen. steaks, chops, burger and roast.
FED EX price quote was over 600.00 to ship the meat back from Colorado to Pa.
To get my meat home we checked in 4 coolers of frozen meat just shy of 60 lbs in each cooler as baggage on united airlines.The grls at the check in counter were great with no additional charges unless we went over 62 lbs. No dry ice, we duck taped the coolers shut and around the lids to seal them. Meat was in the coolers just over 24 hours when we got home and stiil frozen solid, no hint of thawing.

Anyone hunting near montrose Colorado should check out goods processing. Family operated nice clean operation and very accommondating. 970-249-5367

Antlers are another cost you need to think about if flying
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 PM
COR
Part of the Community

I've used these guys when hunting North of Craig, Co. Expect $300 at the least per Elk.

http://brothersprocessing.com/meatprocessing.html
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 AM

my pa butcher put me at 75c/# for wild game but wanted it halved. how the [censored] am i gonna do that. well wait maybe a recip saw and just take steaks and cut meat off front shoulders myself to give only usably weight. how much meat does an average cow bring to freezer if it weighs say 400#

We Are...PENN STATE
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
COR
Part of the Community

A 532b cow gave us approx 210lbs of meat. We took her in whole, just field dressed. Pay the price and get it done right IMHO. Get home, Unpack, and just put meat in drop freezer. Just remember to give a day or two for processing at commercial butcher during season.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COR
I've used these guys when hunting North of Craig, Co. Expect $300 at the least per Elk.

http://brothersprocessing.com/meatprocessing.html
I used Brothers last year and I'd recommend them also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page