What's next for Elk in Pennsylvania - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

What's next for Elk in Pennsylvania

So I have contacted the PGC about the elk management plan that is currently on there website. It covers 2009-2016, I was told they are working a new one. This was last year. I'm very curious to see what is in store for our elk herd. I would love to know if there are planned expansions, or where the herd size will be going. I'd love to see increased opportunities via increased herd size and expansion into to new areas, but I realize what kind of an uphill battle that is... curious if any one has any insight on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 AM
The Man

I doubt with the specter of CWD looming, that an expansion of the elk herd is planned. JMO.
NorthernPotterCo likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

I heard the elk biologist talk at the elk expo, either last year or the year before. He didn't mention any major changes. He did say that any expansion of the herd would be to the East.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM

They're going to try to keep them from expanding south of 80 toward CWD land and more farmer conflicts. There is a lot of great habitat for them between 53 and 219 so I am curious to see how they'll try to steer them eastward to accomplish that.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:58 PM
Part of the Community

Seeing as they are a non native , invasive species, the plan should be to eradicate them. Like starlings and English sparrows. Like introducing European carp to North American watersheds , someday this experiment will be regretted.
gonetocamp likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Actually, they are a native species. They were present here and in much of North America years ago and were wiped out by hunters. They were "reintroduced" in PA in the early 1900's I believe by transplanting Rocky Mountain Elk and since then the herd has been a success story. The elk are less of an invasive as you are.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoons View Post
Seeing as they are a non native , invasive species, the plan should be to eradicate them. Like starlings and English sparrows. Like introducing European carp to North American watersheds , someday this experiment will be regretted.
Elk are not an invasive species. The subspecies we have now are not the same as the eastern elk that were killed off back in the 1800's, so what the elk in Pa. could be called is exotic , & that may be a stretcth. An invasive species comes in & takes over to the detrement of native species as the starling & English sparrows have done to native sparrows & other birds.
R. S. B. likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

The game commission shot a healthy bull that wandered into a cwd zone around DuBois last year. They didn't want it to wander back into the elk herd during the rut in fear of it spreading the disease if it in fact did contract cwd. I do not believe an expansion is plausible due to cwd, farming conflicts and highway conflicts. Leave it be.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoons View Post
Wow... We wiped them out of North America, and put them back. Invasive is the spotted lantern fly, not Pa Elk.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 01:19 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I heard the elk biologist talk at the elk expo, either last year or the year before. He didn't mention any major changes. He did say that any expansion of the herd would be to the East.
The elk have already expanded pretty far to the east of Benezette.

They are pretty common in Moshannon State Forest. I have seen them near Karthaus and between Pottersdale and Keating, and along Wykoff Road.

They are also in northern Centre Country, in SGL 100 and nearby.

They are also in the lower parts of the First Fork Sinnemahoning Creek drainage.

And in the lower parts of the Kettle Creek drainage. Up at least as far as where Route 144 crosses the bridge as you drive north from Renovo.

That is the furthest east I've heard of them. Has anyone heard of them being further east than that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page