The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Probably the end of an era

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  peddle-paddle 
#1 ·
It all started when he called me circa 1979-80. Want to go bear hunting. Sure why not. So to the wilds of Cameron county go. 20 minutes into the hunt on opening day I see a herd of deer run in front of me. 15 seconds later 4 shots rang out. I didn’t see my friend for a few hours and quite frankly I had no idea where I was besides Cameron county. He finally appears, he had hit a bear but another hunter killed it. Thus began a few years of he and I traveling to Cameron county. Then after hearing stories a few others asked if there was room. Well the accommodations are tight and there is no water electric etc. but it’s in bear country. Lanterns, Coleman stoves. Smoked filled bar at Freds in Dents run. Yeah we drank a couple pops, actually quite a lot, but this was a man camp, and there were some hellacious poker games. Over the years we switched locations but then ended up at the same location but slightly upgraded accommodations. Oh we drank some pops and had some hellacious poker games. Laughs like will never be repeated. This was the day we would pack to much stuff to head north. But not this or perhaps any more. The physical condition of the camp has dwindled and to go into why no repairs is a superfluous. The founder the instigator was taken from us 12/30/18. An era has ended. Will never be repeated. I hope there is a group like ours in there mid 20s who will have a chance to experience this. A roof and warmth and not much more. Oh yeah the Cameron shower. 2, 1 gallon jugs of water. Standing outside in the snow maybe your feet on the collapsed beer case. One gallon to wash and the second gallon to rinse. Then to the bar for the Steeler game hopefully. I will visit his grave this bear season eve and thank him for what he gave to us all

See less See more
#3 ·
Great write up. As the reader I could envision exactly what you were feeling and reminiscing about. There is something unique and special about Pennsylvania deer and bear camps that only the members that have experienced it can understand. I'm fortunate to still be a part of a deer crew that has been hunting since the 50s.

Reactions: ruger300
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.