Recent Bear Attacks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Recent Bear Attacks

A hunter in North Carolina holding his dogs on a treed bear was attacked after the bear was shot out of the tree... A 375 pound boar bear... Another Minnesota Woman was attacked near her cabin in Canada after out looking for her barking dogs.. Law Enforcement found the bear over her body and killed it...But remember Pennsylvania black bears are harmless..
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Youíll only ever find one black bear in 100 that will give you any problems. Trouble is, they donít necessarily come in that order.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:02 AM
dgc
Frequent Contributor

lol Pa black bear are deff not harmless one cabin I hunted out of for yrs had dozens of bear vs hunter issues from 3 of us being charged trying to get out the door to go bear hunting and the bear almost came in when we shut the door and it came open that one bluff charged us 3 or 4 times for abt 20 min. and came within about 10 feet
to one nite 4 or 5 archers had to be picked up by quads to chase bears off that had hunters pinned in their trees popping jaws pacing in front of them
a few yrs back it seemed like every time we were up someone had a bear huffing and popping its jaws at their stand
So just keep in mind the books all say black bears will run when they know your their, but maybe the bear coming your way didnt read the books
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 AM

I carry my .357 with 180 gr Buffalo Bore. My .44Mag hurts the arthritus too much to really practice enough, so a couple of 180's will have to do. The 629 with 300gr was my choice before, but at least I can hit it with the 686.
bohunr and John Schweigart like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 AM
The Man

Maybe we should cancel the rest of hunting season to protect everyone from all the ravenous, vicious bears out there...

If you don't like, or are afraid of, bears then stay in the city. Out of the thousands upon thousands of human/bear interactions in this state on a yearly basis, tell us about all the attacks that happen. As stupid as people are around bears, it's a direct credit to the bears that there aren't alot of attacks.
R. S. B., bohunr, Dogface and 5 others like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:26 AM
New Arrival

A dauphin county archer was recently attacked in his tree stand. Momma bear came up the tree something like 6 times at him until he eventually shot it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 AM
The Man

You're 100 times more likely to commit suicide after saying something derogatory about the Clinton's than you are to be attacked by a black bear in Pennsylvania.
R. S. B., dce, coyotejohn and 17 others like this.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Maybe we should cancel the rest of hunting season to protect everyone from all the ravenous, vicious bears out there...

If you don't like, or are afraid of, bears then stay in the city. Out of the thousands upon thousands of human/bear interactions in this state on a yearly basis, tell us about all the attacks that happen. As stupid as people are around bears, it's a direct credit to the bears that there aren't alot of attacks.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If I had a nickle for every person that says they have been "charged" I'd buy myself a custom made flintlock. Ive had bears run past me, darn near over me and I've had them just not want to leave, had them stand up on there back legs right in front of me as well. They were only trying to catch my scent, its not an aggression thing. But I have never in 55 years of living, working and hunting where there are bears a plenty Ive never seen a charge. If even 1 percent of the so called charges were really charges you would have many real attacks and we don't. By the way, there was a small bear in my yard at camp when I made an outhouse trip last night. I survived.
kudu58 likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. If I had a nickle for every person that says they have been "charged" I'd buy myself a custom made flintlock. Ive had bears run past me, darn near over me and I've had them just not want to leave, had them stand up on there back legs right in front of me as well. They were only trying to catch my scent, its not an aggression thing. But I have never in 55 years of living, working and hunting where there are bears a plenty Ive never seen a charge. If even 1 percent of the so called charges were really charges you would have many real attacks and we don't. By the way, there was a small bear in my yard at camp when I made an outhouse trip last night. I survived.
I was bluff charged once in my lifetime by a very angry sow. The reason she charged me is because i surprised her and heck she surprised me. I was on a trail that leads to a pipeline that had wild blueberries i was going to pick. I just passed a big shrub at the end of the trail and i saw her just as she saw me then i saw the little cub and i am like crap. Well i said more than that so backed up grabbed my bicycle and got that between us and grabbed my hand gun. She got about 10 yards and popped her jaws and smacked the ground. I yelled and she wouldnt leave so i started talking softer and she finally walked away. Dang near messed my pants lol. Most of the time when i see a bear they are quick to leave the area. A few years ago in the summer at camp, my boys and cousin went for a walk on a pipeline behind camp, I told them we have to watch, bear like to start moving at this time. We get out to the pipeline and i said look fresh bear poop, look up and there is a mother bear with 4 cubs about 60 yards away. She stood on her hind legs did some sniffing and walked away.

4B
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have been around hundreds of bear in my life. I WAS bluff charged only once when three cubs fed into me with mother in tow. I was letting them feed past me when one cub got up on a log and winded me. It ran back towards momma and she started coming, huffing and chomping coming hard towards me. She stopped at ten yards after she passed the other two cubs and new she was between me and them. This was in spring gobbler and the shot gun was up when she charged. Thank God she stopped when she did because as much as would have hated to do it I was going to drop her at point blank in the head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page