Are you kidding me?! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Are you kidding me?!

So, the story starts on Tuesday night. The wife and I decide to take the kids to sky zone in Harrisburg for the ones birthday, bad idea if your out of shape! I've been looking forward to hunting Wednesday morning for a few days now knowing that buck are starting to chase! So after jumping on trampolines for an hour and a steak dinner from outback Tuesday night I new the morning was going to be rough! Alarm goes off at 4:15, nope not happening, again at 5, still not happening! My stepson comes in at 630 to say hes ready for school, I wake up and look out the window and say to my wife that I should have went! Go! She tells me, and I go into my list of excuses as to why I can't go now! "Its going to be light before I even leave the house" "We have a bunch of stuff at the house to get done" So on and so forth, and after some back and forth I figure its the only morning I will get to hunt for awhile so I might as well go, it is the rut after all. I leave my house at 0650 an hour and fifty minutes later then I wanted to, and I am set up and in my stand at 0802! at 0816 I text my wife and tell her I'm putting my phone in my pocket and I would text her later in the morning, I get my grunt call out and go to work. After finishing up a series of grunts I put my call back in my side pocket and begin looking around, I look to my right and see a black set of legs standing in the laurels, no way I think to myself! I get my binos up and sure enough its a bear standing there! I stand up and get my bow thinking to myself that there is no way this thing comes over to me. Sure enough it starts working its way up the mountain, until it jumps a downed tree and turns my way. I immediately now convert to kill mode and start getting turned to my guessed shot location and sure enough it goes into the thick cover I figured it would go to, I draw back. The bear comes out the other side kind of trotting so I bleat at it and it doesn't even slow so I beat again, still no stopping! With only a few yards until it got back into the laurels and out of my life i decide to go for broke and yelled "Hey bear!" Stopped dead in its tracks at 15 yards broadside in the wide open!! I rushed to get my pin on its shoulder and let the arrow fly! I see the arrow go in but not pass through it turned and ran into a tree and ran down to the ridge cut across then down over the side and I hear a crash! Unreal!! I call my wife to tell her, the time, 0830! I was in my stand for 28 minutes! I call some friends to come help track and get down out of my stand at 0900 and go down to the ridge I last saw it and glassed down the hill but couldn't see it, so rather then risk bumping it I packed up my gear and went back to my vehicle to wait for help. Once my wife and 2 friends showed up we were back to my spot at 10 and began to track, drops of blood here and then for a bit and then it opened up, big pools of blood loaded with bubbles! Once we got to the laurels I saw the blood go through a thick path so I used my bow to lift a branch so I could sneak under and when I lowered my head and looked I saw the bear laying there! He only made it roughly 60 yards!! My first ever bear! With the bow! At 15 yards!! I couldn't be more thrilled I've wanted to get a bear for the longest time and it all comes together on the most unlikely day! A day I wasn't even going to go! The dressed weight was 130lbs with a live weight of 153 with a guessed age of 2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_101611.jpg (2.23 MB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_101725.jpg (2.24 MB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_110357.jpg (2.33 MB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_133750.jpg (1.41 MB, 129 views)
Bull, MQ-1, R. S. B. and 18 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice and congrats.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Good job Reaper!

MAGA 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:40 AM

Congrats on your Bear and with a Compound to boot, well done....What Bow, broadhead and stick did get him with ------>.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
Congrats on your Bear and with a Compound to boot, well done....What Bow, broadhead and stick did get him with ------>.
Bow is a Diamond Rock 2.0 with Beman arrow tipped with a Rage hypodermic 100 grain 3 blade. The rage broadhead hasn't let me down yet and I have been shooting them for years now
bohunr and SlickShot like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 AM
Banned

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 AM

Good job Reaper!!! CONGRADULATIONS!!!

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:46 AM
The Man

Too cool! Congrats!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM
The Man

That’s awesome! Congrats!

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:04 AM
New Arrival

Location: N.E. Ohio, native of Westmoreland Co. PA.....My job moved me to NE ohio
Very cool story and photo's......congrats, that's an accomplishment......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page