PGC Bear Reports - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrim View Post
Some people thought the Saturday opener was going to desimate the bear population. That was 10 years ago and it continues to increase. As usual, the PGC was far to conservative, with bears, like they are the favored species in this state.
Nonsense!! they were not too conservative, they were responsible by not throwing caution to the winds and moving forward in increments instead rapidly. Moving slowly into increasing the length of the season is a lot smarter than moving too fast. Animal populations are not static, they grow and the fall back. Judging by the harvests in the last decades, they have done a stellar job with managing bears populations.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Nonsense!! they were not too conservative, they were responsible by not throwing caution to the winds and moving forward in increments instead rapidly. Moving slowly into increasing the length of the season is a lot smarter than moving too fast. Animal populations are not static, they grow and the fall back. Judging by the harvests in the last decades, they have done a stellar job with managing bears populations.
Hardly stellar. They now realize they had to do something out of the box to curb an increasing population.

Guess what? You go to far with reduction, you reverse course.

Seems they did that with the deer population? Concurrent was too much for 2 weeks, they cut back. Not hard to figure out populations, especially deer and bears can snap back.

There was a warden or something that said the bears were gonna be hit too hard with the Saturday opener. He was proved wrong. So much for PGC experts
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage

Says you, you have no track record, the PGC does. End of story.
Retiredusne8 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see the PGC reported 188 in the extended season today.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:23 PM

Season length has very little to do with deer populations. It's all in the anterless allocations. With bears there are no limits as tags are unlimited.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianahunter View Post
Season length has very little to do with deer populations. It's all in the anterless allocations. With bears there are no limits as tags are unlimited.

Season length has ALOT to do with deer poplations! Only a small percentage (in most WMUs) of the allocated doe tags are actually filled. Why do you think they used the concurrent season for herd reduction then went back to the split seasons statewide except for the SRAs? Think how many more deer both antlered and does would be harvested if they gave an additional week of concurrent rifle season, or if say archery was open nonstop from Sept 1 to Jan 31 statewide.
More hunting time will always lead to a bigger harvest percentage vs number of hunters of any game species
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusne8 View Post
I see the PGC reported 188 in the extended season today.
Extended bear kill up to 223

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Count me into that total, yesterday I killed the first bear I’ve ever seen in the woods while hunting, live weighed at 475#. Let me tell you it is an interesting experience to have something that big galloping through the woods at you. Took 20 minutes for my leg to stop shaking enough that I could safely climb down from my stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17107733-8B8B-45FC-8D3F-AC8F2BA7FF65_1575205992810.jpg (1.86 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by CMP70306; 12-01-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Count me into that total, yesterday I killed the first bear Iíve ever seen in the woods while hunting, live weighed at 475#. Let me tell you it is an interesting experience to have something that big galloping through the woods at you. Took 20 minutes for my leg to stop shaking enough that I could safely climb down from my stand.

Great bear! Congrats! Nice rig too!
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nice bear, congrats CMP!
On another note, can somebody point me to a bear harvest by county?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in