Orange Requirements for Muzzle loader Bear? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Orange Requirements for Muzzle loader Bear?

The manual didn't seem to be real specific on this. Can i assume that i need to wear an orange hat and vest for the early muzzleloader bear season?
Thanks

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Look at page 10 of the Digest.

It seems pretty clear that "Deer, Bear or Elk Firearms season" you must have the vest\hat FO on. A flintlock, cap lock, or in-line is a firearm.

Yes, there is a separate line item that says the FO requirement about the "October Muzzleloader Anterless Season".....but don't forget that there are three days of that season where certain hunters are permitted to use high power firearms.

Bottom line is FO hat and vest at a minimum.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Regular Visitor

I interpret it as yes orange required - what I can't figure out is if archery hunting for deer same week no orange required ??? It makes no sense to me at all that orange requirements differ depending on the weapon you are carrying that week

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me

So if I carry inline and bow and a buck is out at a distance I can strip off orange and pick up bow and be legal ?? Then say a bear shows up across field and I put bow down I must put orange back on before I pick up muzzleloader ?? Is that all legal ??

I personally would wear orange that week no matter what but I can't make sense of the difference in weapon you carry that week dictates separate orange requirements - I don't get it.

If I see this all wrong please correct my interpretations

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM

If you have a firearm under your control during the early muzzleloader season, the blaze orange requirement applies. If you want to carry your bow with you have at it, it's legal, but so long as you have control of a legal hunting arm for that season wear the orange.
bohunr likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As I understand it you better have FO on if you have a firearm on you does not matter if you sit it down and try to kill that buck. Your opening a can of worms
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Are you allowed to shoot a buck with your bow if your also carrying a rifle or muzzleloader?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Regular Visitor

What I found odd about the early muzzleloader season according to a PA Game News article is you can carry bow AND muzzleloader in this season if you are hunting deer only. If you are hunting bear in this season you can not carry both.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy1 View Post
What I found odd about the early muzzleloader season according to a PA Game News article is you can carry bow AND muzzleloader in this season if you are hunting deer only. If you are hunting bear in this season you can not carry both.

^^^ this, anybody able to clarify?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Regular Visitor

The article I reference was in my last issue of PA Game News. I will be interested if anyone else interprets as I understood the article.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Regular Visitor

It still baffles me - orange requirements should apply to anyone in woods that week - why wouldn't the safety of an archery hunter be of equal importance of the inline hunter ?? I assume the rule is the way it is so archery hunters can remain concealed and it's a legit gripe if they had to wear orange while bowhunting deer - BUT it's just a safety concern as I see it. I hope we don't read about a hunting accident that week were an inline hunter mistakenly shot an archery hunter in all camo.
Mussgrass likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page