Archery & Muzzle loader Bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Archery & Muzzle loader Bear

After reading the book am I right that you DO NOT need a archery or a muzzle loader license to hunt during though seasons
bohunr likes this.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Correct.
It was confirmed by the PGC and referenced in another Bear thread that a bear license confers archery and muzzleloader privileges during the respective bear seasons.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

How is that possible. To archery hunt in pa you have to have and archery license. Archery bear you have always needed both archery and bear license. Why would it change now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 PM

not according to the PGC. you only need an Archery license or a muzzleloader license FOR DEER not bear.

for bear, all you need is a general license and a bear license. thats straight from the PGC.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/20-...g-seasons.html

go to the last page...i posted the answer from the PGC there.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 07-30-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM
New Arrival

How many people are going to muzzleloader or archery hunt for bear and not participate in the same manner to hunt deer literally at the same time? The local wardens around me would have a field day with an archery hunter "only hunting bear" during a concurrent deer archery season. Sounds like a guaranteed fine to me lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Personally I plan to be tagged out on deer by the time bear archery gets here so it’s a non issue for me
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM

just print out what i placed in the other forum and show it to the warden. if the warden still issues the citation, it will get tossed at the District Judge level.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycomingflyfisher View Post
How many people are going to muzzleloader or archery hunt for bear and not participate in the same manner to hunt deer literally at the same time? The local wardens around me would have a field day with an archery hunter "only hunting bear" during a concurrent deer archery season. Sounds like a guaranteed fine to me lol
This was brought up in the previous thread bohunr linked above...

Don't see how it's a "guaranteed fine" unless someone actually takes a deer illegally by not having an archery or muzzleloader privilege.
The hunter with a bear license is not committing a crime by being in the woods with a bow or muzzleloader during the bear archery or muzzleloader seasons respectively. End of story.
IF that hunter takes a deer during the relevant overlaps (which I don't believe bear archery overlaps deer archery) and does not also have the archery or muzzleloader licenses/privileges, a violation has occurred and a citation is certainly warranted.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM

I should also point out that it has been legal for a very long time to hunt small game with archery gear, no archery license needed.
The season overlaps with Archery Deer.
How many hunters have been cited for hunting deer without an archery tag while out chasing rabbits with a bow/crossbow and not illegally killed a deer? (Serious question.)
Or conversely, the small game hunter out with a shotgun, who also happens to hold an archery license, getting cited for carrying a firearm during archery season?
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:08 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
This was brought up in the previous thread bohunr linked above...

Don't see how it's a "guaranteed fine" unless someone actually takes a deer illegally by not having an archery or muzzleloader privilege.
The hunter with a bear license is not committing a crime by being in the woods with a bow or muzzleloader during the bear archery or muzzleloader seasons respectively. End of story.
IF that hunter takes a deer during the relevant overlaps (which I don't believe bear archery overlaps deer archery) and does not also have the archery or muzzleloader licenses/privileges, a violation has occurred and a citation is certainly warranted.
The entire bear archery season is during the deer archery from Oct 28- Nov 9 which is arguably the most hunted 2 weeks of the whole season. I archery deer hunt so this is a non issue for me, but a copy and paste from a general game commission email account is not enough proof to me to tell every hunter in a public forum that they don't need an archery license.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page