• 1 Post By 5chunter
  • 1 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By loridr
  • 2 Post By 5chunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stony brook outfitters

Booked my first ever guided hunt with him this week. Heading up may 10th this spring. It’s going to be a honeymoon for the wife and I. As neither of us ever hunted with a guide before or even hunted out of the state for that matter we figured it would be something neat to do. We are both really looking forward to it. I know a lot of you guys have been there before. Anything to expect from this hunt or any must do’s and don’ts? Hoping it’s a great time we both get an opportunity at a bear cause this is a lot of money for us to do something like this so more then likely it’s a once and done thing. I have heard in reading that the 3rd week is usually better then the 2nd. Any truth to that? We obliviously understand that hunting is hunting and there are no guarantees but just want to give the mrs the best opportunity possible. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 PM

You hunting their Maine or New Brunswick camp? Last year, early was poor to fair hunting in much of eastern Canada due to the late spring. Later is usually better if the outfitter has fresh baits that are not getting repeatedly pounded by hunters earlier in the season. Early June the boars are really searching for sows.

PM Loridr. He is a wealth of info on Stony Brook.

I have done two successful spring hunts in Ontario. It is certainly addictive. I hope to make it up for number three next year as well.

Good luck!
bohunr likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:41 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chunter View Post
Booked my first ever guided hunt with him this week. Heading up may 10th this spring. It’s going to be a honeymoon for the wife and I. As neither of us ever hunted with a guide before or even hunted out of the state for that matter we figured it would be something neat to do. We are both really looking forward to it. I know a lot of you guys have been there before. Anything to expect from this hunt or any must do’s and don’ts? Hoping it’s a great time we both get an opportunity at a bear cause this is a lot of money for us to do something like this so more then likely it’s a once and done thing. I have heard in reading that the 3rd week is usually better then the 2nd. Any truth to that? We obliviously understand that hunting is hunting and there are no guarantees but just want to give the mrs the best opportunity possible. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
I've hunted the NB camp 5 times, the same week as you are booked (second week), and killed 4 bears. The trip I didn't kill, I saw no bears at all. Success (actual kill) for that week has averaged right at 50%, with more bears seen and passed up, missed or wounded. Bear movement will depend on the weather.

Must do's and don'ts - If killing a bear is important to you:

1. Hunt with a firearm.

2. Sit very still and don't fidget.

3. Most importantly in my view: don't get caught up in worrying about the size of the bear. The bear you are most likely to see will be a yearling bear, and it may be your only chance to kill. It will weigh about 80 lbs, it will make a fine rug and it's meat will be delicious. You will not mistake a cub of the year for a yearling, as the cubs of the year that early are very small, no bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. That said, you may see a nice bear as well. My 4 NB bears have gone 87 lbs, 112 lbs, 222 lbs and 345 lbs. What I'm saying is, if a bear shows up, shoot it at the first opportunity for a good shot, or be prepared to eat your tag.

4. Fishing is hit or miss that early depending on the weather, I've had good fishing 1 out of 5 trips.

You will have a good time, Bob, Jaye, and all of the guides are great people. NB is great country. You may hunt with me, I'm not sure yet as I'm having serious trouble with my COPD and didn't do well with the wood smoke and gas fumes this spring. But if I go, it will be the week you are going. Best of luck. Anything else I can help you with be sure to ask.

Loridr
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by loridr; 07-27-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

First and fore most Loridr May God bless you and give you strength with your health issues. We wish you all the best with your copd. Thank you so much for the info. It sounds like we are in for an awesome time. As I said neither of us have ever done anything like this before so we didn’t really know what to expect. We are really looking forward to it already. What makes you choose the second week for going up? Do you think success for us would be better pushing it off a week or 2 based off your knowledge? Like I said this is more then likely a one and done thing for us.

When I talked with Bob over the phone he sounded like someone who knew what he was talking about. I asked what week he feels we would be the most successful he said all the weeks are good just to pick one. But I’m sure some need to be better then others like last year with the late spring. So any insight you could provide on a chosen week would be awesome. I’m sure Bob wouldn’t mind changing weeks for us as he said all weeks were still open. Thanks again for the info!

Drew
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chunter View Post
...When I talked with Bob over the phone he sounded like someone who knew what he was talking about. I asked what week he feels we would be the most successful he said all the weeks are good just to pick one. But Iím sure some need to be better then others like last year with the late spring...

Bob is a great guy, and probably the best bear hunter in the north woods, but any outfitter is going to tell you all weeks are good (and they certainly can be).

But if you can get in for the third week I think you'll have better bear movement. This spring they went 11 for 12 the third week. You'll also have plenty of black flies (they usually aren't bad at all the second week). I'm surprised he has openings for the third week, a big group of regulars usually has that week tied up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page