PGC Bear Cam question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

PGC Bear Cam question

this past winter when the bear cam was in operation with the mother bear and the cub under the deck. when the weather was getting a little warm or when it rained, water would drip down onto the mom and the cub. i e-mailed the PGC asking that a tarp or maybe a sheet of plywood be put down to stop the water from dripping on them.

my concern was that the cub would get sick, maybe catch pneumonia and die. it wouldnt take much to do this and very little disturbance if any to the bears unders the deck. their reply was that they do not interfere with mother nature.

in Todays paper there is an article about the high water at the Peninsula (presque isle state park) and how its affecting the piping clover nests.

https://www.goerie.com/news/20190713...esting-plovers

it has this in the article:

Quote:
Rising waters near the nest are a concern. Sandbags have been placed in the area to keep the nest dry.
“We’ve had some nail-biter days,” Game Warden Andrew Hueser said in the news release. “The water has been as close as a foot to the nest.”

One of the park’s two plover nests in 2017 had to be rescued from lake waves. Four eggs were relocated and they later hatched two chicks.
A similar plan has been established for the current nest, according to the Game Commission.

I thought they didnt interfere with Mother Nature ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Sage

133.21. Classification of birds. § 133.21. Classification of birds.

The following birds are classified:
(1) Endangered.
(i) King Rail (Rallus elegans)
(ii) Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
(iii) Black Tern (Chlidonias niger)
(iv) Least Bittern (Ixobrychus exilis) (v) Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus)

§ 133.4. Definitions.

In addition to the definitions contained in section 102 of the act (relating to definitions), the following words and terms, when used in this chapter, have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

Endangered—Species in imminent danger of extinction or extirpation throughout their range in this Commonwealth if the deleterious factors affecting them continue to operate. The term includes: (i) Species whose numbers have already been reduced to a critically low level or whose habitat has been so drastically reduced or degraded that immediate action is required to prevent their extirpation from this Commonwealth.

wmu 3A

Last edited by timberdoodle; 07-13-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Banned

Yep, that is the reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

so its ok to let other critters die because they are not on an endangered list ?? makes no sense to me at all.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
so its ok to let other critters die because they are not on an endangered list ?? makes no sense to me at all.
But the cub bear being monitored on camera didn't drown did it?

Cub bears are typically born in treetop brush piles that are covered with snow or shallow excavated dens in the ground. Both of those dens leek water as the snow melts as well as when it rains. Water dripping into a bear's den is of absolutely no concern what so ever. They aren't as fragile as human babies and mom never makes them come in out of the rain. For the rest of their life they will have to deal with the elements of nature.

If they become aware of a bear's den that is going to flood and drown the cubs they will probably make an attempt to move the sow and cubs. In some cases bear dens do flood. In most of those cases the sow bear will move the cubs. But, once in a while cubs will be lost when dens flood, even though man is usually not even aware of it.

People should just stop trying to equate animals, including baby ones, with human feelings and needs.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr, bootmud and Woods walker like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 07-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
With mother nature no critter goes to waste.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

then let the piping plovers fend for themselves too ! its all fair.

i am not equating any animals baby or mature with human feelings and needs. all i meant was, they have a Chance to make something better, they should. i enjoy watching birds in my yard. i put up feeders for orioles and hummingbirds too. when i re-did my upper deck, i discovered an empty birds nest in the back corner. i carefully set it off to side.

when i finished the deck i made a better enclosed space for the nest, its now out of the rain, wind and snow. they could do the same for the bear den, easy as pie.

if that was my deck...it wouldnt be leaking on them next year if she denned there again.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage

That's fine...when you are the landlord you get to decide. Probably a nest of rabbits in your yard might like some protection from the rain as well..then there are the birds nests in the shrubs and trees around your home you'll want to cover them. While you're at it you might check any hollow trees for leaks and drafts. And don't forget the possum pouches!!
bohunr likes this.

wmu 3A
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:57 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
That's fine...when you are the landlord you get to decide. Probably a nest of rabbits in your yard might like some protection from the rain as well..then there are the birds nests in the shrubs and trees around your home you'll want to cover them. While you're at it you might check any hollow trees for leaks and drafts. And don't forget the possum pouches!![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Hahaha!!! Goretex possum pouch liners!
bohunr likes this.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They do sort of have differing policies..... on the eagle cam they had the disclaimer that they don't interfere with nature(a chick fell out of a southern nest and was put back by their F&G).... then a few months later up north along the Susky they rescued a young eagle and took it to rehab. (don't remember if it was injured/tangled up in debris or just not good at fishing yet)
bohunr likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page