Bear with collar question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bear with collar question

Doesn't look like a tracking collar, but more dog collar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MFDC0223.jpg (756.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Grizzlytrap; 07-13-2019 at 01:29 AM. Reason: add picture without --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM

It's a GPS collar. The GPS collars track bear movements by relaying hourly data of the collared bears. Someone's doing a research study. Maybe Penn State??? In conjunction with the GC??? The GC will micro chip bears but I've never known them to use this type of GPS collar. The collar can also be remotely removed from the bear, and then researchers simply walk in and pick them up.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM

It looks like a typical bear collar to me. They collar bears for a number of reasons. There were and possibly still are bears being collared to track how far they are traveling in and around metropolitan areas of the state. There are also a number of sows collared so they can locate the dens in the winter to tag the cubs and also in case they need a sow to introduce orphaned cubs with.

Dick Bodenhorn
yorkadams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM

I've had collared bears hanging around my place for many years now. The old collared sow hanging around had 4 cubs this year.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
It looks like a typical bear collar to me. They collar bears for a number of reasons. There were and possibly still are bears being collared to track how far they are traveling in and around metropolitan areas of the state. There are also a number of sows collared so they can locate the dens in the winter to tag the cubs and also in case they need a sow to introduce orphaned cubs with.

Dick Bodenhorn
Does the GC use those collars, RSB? I've only ever seen research teams use them, and have only seen the GC ear tag, and microchip.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM

It is hard to tell in the picture but it looks very much like the collars the PGC provided and I and other WCOs put on bears for research purposes.

The fact that we can't see ear tags on the bear though makes it somewhat uncertain.

Dick Bodenhorn
TBrom likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I hate seeing this junk jewelry on wild animals. Seems to me we have tagged, micro chipped and collard enough Pa bears to learn all there is to know and then some. You gotta move them, I understand that...........kinda. There was just a bear trapped and moved form down the road from me. The lady told the GW it charged her. No it didn't. It was running for the woods and went right by her. People move out into bear country and then get mad when their bird feeders are raided or their trash is knocked all over. Its bear country, you don't like it? Move back to town.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
It's a GPS collar. The GPS collars track bear movements by relaying hourly data of the collared bears. Someone's doing a research study. Maybe Penn State??? In conjunction with the GC??? The GC will micro chip bears but I've never known them to use this type of GPS collar. The collar can also be remotely removed from the bear, and then researchers simply walk in and pick them up.
That's a typical collar that we use on bears for research.
TBrom likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Thanks guys. I've been privy to a few bears being processed and relocated but have never seen them collared. Thanks for the education.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Seems to me we have tagged, micro chipped and collard enough Pa bears to learn all there is to know and then some. You gotta move them, I understand that...........kinda. \
Agreed. Bears are perhaps the most over studied animals in the state. Plus mandatory physical checking of every animal.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page