Why WE hunt bears............ - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Why WE hunt bears............

Because we hate 'em.

Was out Monday on the quads giving a gentleman who will be coon hunting our properties a tour of the property lines, unforeseen dangers, etc. We skirted around just a couple of our Christmas tree fields and found these... They break 'em over, apparently just because they can.

Realistically, the culprits just hosed me out of $120 just in these trees that I happened to ride past. When we go to shearing, we'll see what the total extent of this year's damages are. Generally it runs between a couple and several hundred dollars each year. I'm sure that pales in comparison to what a lot of REAL farmers lose in crop revenue to deer. But it's the principle......
jimbridger likes this.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:13 PM

I can tell you it's staggering just how much corn a bear will eat or destroy. Never thought about them snapping over Christmas trees just for poops and giggles.
Well, they're in the same family as raccoons, so I guess it's in their nature to be jerks.
John Schweigart likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

We've had them snap off fir that you could saw 2x4x8's out of the trunk. That ONE tree is a 2X larger $$$ loss than the 3 pictured combined.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Frustrating thing about bears getting into the corn is that the jerks will only eat a few dozen ears, but then they'll roll around in the middle of a stand until they've laid down about a 15'-20' circle...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
I can tell you it's staggering just how much corn a bear will eat or destroy. Never thought about them snapping over Christmas trees just for poops and giggles.
Well, they're in the same family as raccoons, so I guess it's in their nature to be jerks.
Bears and raccoons are not in the same family, the Scientific name for black bears is Ursus Americanus , classified as an Ursidae, Just for comparison, the Grizzlybear's scientific name is Ursus Horribilis. The Scientific name for raccoons is procyon lotor, they are classified as a Procyonidae. Just a little info for what it is worth. However, they both will hammer a corn field.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Well, thanks WW. Learned something new today.
We grew up calling coons "mini bears"... probably why I thought that.
But yes, they are both absolute jerks when it comes to damage.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Bears aint nothing but trouble rolled up blubbery black ball. Battled them over beehives, gardens, cornfields, birdfeeders, and my garbage. Ive had them break the doors off my bee shed where I store unused hives , my Grandmother had one tear off the screen door to her sun porch and make off with raisin filled cookies that were cooling.

The worst offender was a 350 lb boar that took up residence near the hog pen 40 years ago. It would climb into the pen and took a fancy to eating chop out of the trough. Fun was fun, until it took a swipe at a hog, killing it when it ripped its belly open. The next night my uncle killed it out of the bedroom window while I held the light. PGC came the next day and gave us a permit for the meat.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Part of the Community

Lose on average 10 cameras a year to beat damage. Have tried putting them way up in the air and that just makes it a game for them. Have tried hiding them, no luck. Bear boxes work, for a little while but even those get beat up.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:50 AM

I hunt them cause they yummy in my tummy
Mussgrass likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 AM
The Man

A beaver can do a fair amount of damage to a corn field also. They will clip the stalks off, and drag them to water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page