Bear weight - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Bears are more difficult to field judge than most other animals but a lot of PA bear hunters are like our buck hunters USED to be. The buck hunters would use forced movement and any glimpse of antler would result in a volley of shots at a fast moving fleeing target. The shooter had no idea if he was shooting at a 6 point or a 12 point. The number one priority was to get the buck on the ground and then count the points. Many bear hunters follow the same philosophy. They see a black ball streaking through the woods and their brain screams BEAR and they open up on it not really knowing (or caring) about its size. A 100 pound bear and 200 pound bear can sometimes be very difficult to accurately judge differently and I would consider them both trophies. Even an 80 or 90 pound bear perhaps? (They make the perfect size rug.) I struggle with the idea of the 40 and 50 pound ones that are killed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 PM

I would not, and have passed up on a couple bears that I thought were under 100 lbs. I don't claim to be an expert but I 'm getting better at judging them having seen a bunch dead and alive here in PA and Maine. Saw one standing on the road yesterday I estimated in the 250 range. My cousin killed a PA one a few years back I thought would go 400. 5 guys to get it out across a swamp. Live estimated weight by the check station people was 410. Lucky guess. They look different from a tree stand vs the ground, and keep in mind even a 100 lb bear can be an old bear. They don't all get bigger with age.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some really good replies here from hunters with more experience with Bears than I.
Maybe I can ask the next bear to come in at Camp to get on the scale to see if I guessed right. (lol)

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:23 AM
New Arrival

I never hunted bears before, so I knew nothing of bear size. In 2015, I saw 5 different bears from my tree stand while deer hunting. I took videos/pics of them, and showed them to my buddies. They guessed them all to be in the 250lb range. In 2016 I decided to bear hunt. I shot a bear from that stand just after dawn. It looked big on the ground, but hey what did I know? I assumed it was 250lbs. It took me 6 hours to drag that thing a 1/2 mile out of the woods on a jet sled by myself. I felt like a huge pu$$y for having such a hard time with a 250lb bear. Turns out it weighed 427lbs. That made me feel better.
John Schweigart likes this.

Last edited by barrike; 05-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Shoot them all any size!!!
Strut10 likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrike View Post
I never hunted bears before, so I knew nothing of bear size. In 2015, I saw 5 different bears from my tree stand while deer hunting. I took videos/pics of them, and showed them to my buddies. They guessed them all to be in the 250lb range. In 2016 I decided to bear hunt. I shot a bear from that stand just after dawn. It looked big on the ground, but hey what did I know? I assumed it was 250lbs. It took me 6 hours to drag that thing a 1/2 mile out of the woods on a jet sled by myself. I felt like a huge pu$$y for having such a hard time with a 250lb bear. Turns out it weighed 427lbs. That made me feel better.
That’s more impressive than killingthe bear. You’re welcome to hunt with me anytime. No need for a quad or horses as long as you’re along.
John Schweigart likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:15 AM
New Arrival

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
That’s more impressive than killingthe bear. You’re welcome to hunt with me anytime. No need for a quad or horses as long as you’re along.
Thanks, but it's not something I care to do again. I was sure I was going to die of a heart attack several times during the ordeal. Fortunately, I only pulled a few muscles. I was sore for over a week!

Last edited by barrike; 05-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM

bear size

The one time i went hunting up in Maine over bait, I had told the guide that i didn't want to shoot a cub. She placed several marks on nearby trees that i could use to judge the size of the bears when they came out. I saw several that i thought were big, until they walked past the marked trees and i realized they were cubs. (did manage to take a 250 lbs bear). Several years ago i saw a bear leaning over a log at about 100 yds away looking at me . All i could see was his head. Looked huge, but didn't have a clear shot.. Son later saw the same bear walk past... 60 lb cub. It is hard to tell size of bear in woods unless you have something to compare it to..
loridr likes this.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRon View Post
The one time i went hunting up in Maine over bait, I had told the guide that i didn't want to shoot a cub. She placed several marks on nearby trees that i could use to judge the size of the bears when they came out. I saw several that i thought were big, until they walked past the marked trees and i realized they were cubs. (did manage to take a 250 lbs bear). Several years ago i saw a bear leaning over a log at about 100 yds away looking at me . All i could see was his head. Looked huge, but didn't have a clear shot.. Son later saw the same bear walk past... 60 lb cub. It is hard to tell size of bear in woods unless you have something to compare it to..

The way Bob Parker does it with most of his baits is: the bait is in a 5 gallon bucket wired to a tree at a certain height. If a bear can stand up and put it's head in the bucket to feed, it's a good bear... if a bear can sit on it's butt and put it's head in the bucket to feed... SHOOT!!!!!!!!
1Chewer! likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

I will First shoot the bear, this way I can get a exact weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page