Elk Visitor Center - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Elk Visitor Center

I'm thinking about going to see the elk visitor center this Saturday. Are the elk starting to bugle? The next chance I would have would be early October. Would that be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
The Man

Re: Elk Visitor Center

Early October would probably be better but it will also be more crowded. You would probably hear some this weekend. It's always worth the trip.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
The Man

I was there last weekend, and heard elk bugling. The bulls are heading toward Benezette, where the area is managed for optimum cow habitat and calf production. When it happens only once a year, they gotta go. Now is not a bad time to be there.

By the way, the doors to the Keystone Elk Country Alliance opened just one year ago, September 9, 2010. It's a top notch organization off to a great start, and headed up by the former elk biologist for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Rawley Cogan. I could write a long post about the organization, but I'll make only one point in the form of a quote from their website about their gift shop:

Quote:
Our gift shop features apparel, unique works by Pennsylvania Wilds artisans, and other one-of-a kind Elk Country gifts.

Not only can you take a part of Elk Country with you, but you make a difference with every purchase. All proceeds from the gift shop go to help support the conservation of elk in Pennsylvania.

The best part is that absolutely everything in our gift shop is MADE IN THE USA! We're working hard to support our local, regional and country's economy.
Obviously, it's probably not going to have the broad national appeal of something like the NWTF, but it's worth checking out -- www.ExperienceElkCountry.com -- and visiting if you're within driving distance.

The "made in USA" commitment is not going to change the nation, and much of it is made by local crafters and artisans, but I thought the folks here might like to know this.

Steve

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 PM

I was in the area today. No bugling for me
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsbucknut
I was in the area today. No bugling for me
You'll hear most of it in the morning and evening. If I was going, I'd make it a point to be there for the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours of daylight.

Steve

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was there this Monday and Tuesday. Plenty of action and a good amount of bugling. We were also fortunate enough to be there for a bear tagging. Then over at Winslow Hill we had a bear visit us on his way to the dumpster in the parking lot.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ratherbehuntin, My mother and father both work at the visitor center. Mom helped the game commision also with the bear There are pictures on the centers facebook page on the tagging of the bear. She got the chance to help with calfs earlier in the year. Hope you enjoyed the center. As for the bugling mom and dad live within sight of the center and said the bugling is starting to pickup. I was there last year this coming week and got alot of pics and vids of the elk bulging. Morning and evening are going to be your best bet. If you can join Keystone Elk Country Alliance. All the money stays in Pa. Unlike when the RMEF was involved.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
The Man

Weasel, That is an awesome report can't beat that kind of up to date info. I am most likely going to be there Saturday evening if I get all my stuff done during the day.

Btw, tell your parents the visitor center is awesome and the people that work there are real friendly and helpful
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM

do they still have the live webcam? I tried but couldn't locate it.

Born to hunt, forced to work!
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Weasel I'll have to see if I'm in any of the pics. I have pics on my facebook page of the bear taggings. It's a small world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page