Colorado elk license changes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Colorado elk license changes

Colorado Application Procedure Change - In order to apply for any big game species, or a preference point, you will need to first hold a 2019 "qualifying license" such as a small game license ($80). The qualifying license must either be in your cart or on your record before applying for big game. If you remove the qualifying license from your cart, your application will not process.

I seriously doubt I'll go back there to hunt anymore. Look like they're forcing you to buy an out of state small game license additionally.
bohunr and bigguy54 like this.

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They did something similar a few years ago when they automatically added a non--res. fishing lic. to your big game lic.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think they better put the Bongs down out there. Screw them....
bohunr, bigguy54 and JakeS1922 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
They did something similar a few years ago when they automatically added a non--res. fishing lic. to your big game lic.

Yes, I purchased licenses in 2014 and 2016, receiving a NR fishing license, but I don't believe they charged extra for them. This is an additional $80 added to the NR elk license.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I checked the 2019 big game guide I received and this is a fact. If you are going into the elk draw you must purchase an $81 small game license first (cheapest NR tag they have) regardless of whether you draw or not, and even if you are just applying for a PP. I don't know if that holds true for an OTC license.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

I just got screwed, applied for a mule deer archery license and had to buy the small game license also. If I get it I can buy an elk license over the counter for the same zone.

Last edited by 35 whelen; 03-08-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:10 AM

FYI...

they aren't the only state that does stuff like this. i took my son on an alligator hunt in South Carolina. their regulations require everyone on the boat to have an alligator hunting license @ $240.00 even if you are not, or do not, plan on hunting and just want to watch.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
FYI...

they aren't the only state that does stuff like this. i took my son on an alligator hunt in South Carolina. their regulations require everyone on the boat to have an alligator hunting license @ $240.00 even if you are not, or do not, plan on hunting and just want to watch.

I just checked and PA does the same. If a NR scores an elk tag they must purchase a NR general hunting license. Quid pro quo I guess.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:52 PM

If you want to hunt the west you better get ready to pony up some money as a non-resident. I apply for Arizona every year. Both elk and deer. Costs me $160 every year even if I did not draw a tag or step foot in the state. You have to buy a non-resident license in that state just to apply. Same as where I apply in Nevada. Have to buy a non-resident license. Wyoming now is a little different. No non-resident license and they give me most of my money back if I do not draw, although they want the cost of the tag money up front. You will either hunt the west if you want or get mad when they screw over the non-resident and not go there. To me life is too short. I will pay their extortion fees and have a blast out west when I draw the tags. Nothing better than seeing successful after the draw period is over and know you are going elk hunting. That takes the sting out of all those years seeing unsuccessful after the draw. Now my last Arizona elk tag took 7 years to draw. Do the math on that $160x7=$1120 and that did not include the price of the elk tag the year I drew. You want to hunt the west you have to pay to play.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:16 PM
The Man

Guess I have to pony regardless of what they do. I have like 11 elk and 9 deer points to late in the game to say the heck with it. I need around 5 more years or points to even consider applying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page