Preference Points - Interesting Read - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Preference Points - Interesting Read

Been a lot of discussion regarding the draw for PA elk tags not being a true preference point system.

Maybe that's a good thing from what this article presents.
https://blog.eastmans.com/the-myth-o...erence-points/
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM

All valid points. A true preference point system for elk in Pa. would really discourage first time buyers.
kudu58 likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage

Interesting! Mebbie what we have here in PA ain't all that bad...just like a lot of things!!
jimbridger and Buckskin Dave like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM
The Man

There is no doubt that it can be frustrating to wait years upon years without getting drawn for a PA elk tag. But for the intended purpose of what it's supposed to do, our system is pretty good.

I do not ever entertain hopes of getting drawn for a second tag, but I'm sure going to apply.
casey, TrailMan and Vonfoust like this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Regular Visitor

Reading about the way some of the Western points systems work was really discouraging to me looking for a first time hunt without paying for landowner tags. OTC options are nice, but can present challenges. The "bonus point" system PA employs really isn't that bad. Gives extra chances to those applying every year, but also a random draw allowing newer people in.
TrailMan likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM

So with the current system, someone who drew a tag last year has the same chance to draw again as the applicant with 10 "PP's"? That is the down side of the present system. Perhaps a 10 year waiting period before being eligible to apply again?

Ps.146:9 "The Lord watches over the sojourners".
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Five (5) year wait if you draw a bull tag in Pa.

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner48 View Post
So with the current system, someone who drew a tag last year has the same chance to draw again as the applicant with 10 "PP's"? That is the down side of the present system. Perhaps a 10 year waiting period before being eligible to apply again?
PA's system is actually bonus points. Guy with 10 bonus points, has 10 chances. I have zero bonus points. If I apply this year I'll have one chance. Like buying raffle tickets, you have x number of chances.

True preference points are basically just wait your turn in line. Which the obvious downside is some people never get to the front of the line if demand exceeds supply.

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the archery tags because if that goes through I'll apply for the first time. Will long time applicants be able to jump into the archery pool with their bonus points or will we all start anew?
Vonfoust likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner48 View Post
I think it currently states if you draw a bull tag, you are not eligible again for 5 years, however those who draw a cow tag can apply the following year.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
PA's system is actually bonus points. Guy with 10 bonus points, has 10 chances. I have zero bonus points. If I apply this year I'll have one chance. Like buying raffle tickets, you have x number of chances.

True preference points are basically just wait your turn in line. Which the obvious downside is some people never get to the front of the line if demand exceeds supply.

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the archery tags because if that goes through I'll apply for the first time. Will long time applicants be able to jump into the archery pool with their bonus points or will we all start anew?

Yep, I haven't put in for PA elk for years (maybe never, can't remember) but will if they do the archery one. Will be interested to see how they handle that.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page