2019 Oct. bear season during Muzzle loader doe. - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerc View Post
Dick, I love reading your posts so this isn't an attack, but is it still fair to say the bear population is growing at unreasonable numbers? Our states bear biologist reported at the BOC January meeting that bear numbers have stabilized the last three years. He also reported bear collisions and nuisance calls have remained stable in recent years. I read his chart to show a declining population currently, which shows the current population at 19,400. It seems like all the expanded bear seasons have already stemmed the growth, and if it wasn't for the rain on the 2017 opener and deep snow in 2018, it seems like it would have been a significant reduction already before these new proposed changes.
I am not convinced that the bear harvest result corollate as much to the bear populations as they do to the weather conditions of the season and stable hunter densities. Even the marked/recapture data (tagged bears in the harvest) is probably missing the majority of the bears that live in the remote areas as they should be. I suspect we have more bears in the remote areas of the state than the estimate process captures.

I know in this part of the state the vast majority of our bears have no idea they are ever being hunted. We have sows that living to be over twenty years old so that tells me we have a very healthy sow bear population that will not be harmed by harvesting the few that will be harvested during that week in October. If we see declining age trends n the future they can make adjustments to the season. But, at this point I see this as a positive step in the right direction even though if the decision had been mine I would have made it WMU specific and forced hunters to hunt bears in the big woods units during the October season. But I can also see the benefit of having it in the farm areas where farmers are suffering damage in their corn fields at that time of the year.

We will see how it works out if they pass it in April.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Did this pass?
BBB likes this.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Regular Visitor

Yep it passed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:45 PM
The Man

Not thrilled about it because I have no intentions of hunting for bear until the rifle season and I imagine a lot of my best archery spots will be trampled over just before the rut. At the same time congrats to those who were wanting this. I do think it’s kind of cool. It just won’t be doing me in favors when it comes to archery.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontypical25 View Post
Yep it passed
Thanks

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

My question or my thought is I should be able to harvest a bear during this muzzloader season using my bow, correct? I can shoot a deer with my bow during this time and I can shoot a bear with my bow during rifle bear, I better be able to use a lowered powered weapon for this week.
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowns54 View Post
My question or my thought is I should be able to harvest a bear during this muzzloader season using my bow, correct? I can shoot a deer with my bow during this time and I can shoot a bear with my bow during rifle bear, I better be able to use a lowered powered weapon for this week.
I don't think so. Muzzleloader bear is one week and Archery bear is the two weeks following.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

That would make no sense in my eyes. You could always shoot a deer with a bow during any other rifle/muzzleloader season why wouldn't it be the same with the bow?
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:11 AM

They would have to go away from precedent if you couldn't use your bow. You can use your bow during any open season.
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If I can use a bow - I'm kinda excited for the opportunity to take a buck, a doe, or a bear at that time. Plus my kid & my buddy's dad can take their rifles at the end of the week ... Could become a new tradition!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page