Bear tracking question. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bear tracking question.

To the guys that do a lot of bear hunting. I hit a bear yesterday towards the end of the day. I was a pusher and took a running a shot. Not sure about the hit but that was a good chunk of fat and and hair on both sides of its track at impact. The bear went straight down a very steep hill. It didn’t bleed much the first couple hundred yards. Once the bear hit the crick it started walking and bled good for a long ways. I’m not sure how far we followed it until dark but I was well over a mile. As a crow flies it wasn’t all that far from where we put it out but it was going up and and down the same valley. It ended up crossing a large crick and straight up another very steep hill. The bear was bleeding pretty good from the opposite side I shot at. It must not have hit him in the chest. I’m thinking lower leg? Has anybody else had a similar experience? This bear never once laid down. We did see where it sat down a couple times. We got into a hillside with a lot of blow down. It was crawling up over top and underneath them. At that point I thought it was looking for somewhere to bed down. At that same time a couple guys in our group radioed that they cut the blood trail a long ways from us. I wasn’t positive it was the same bear it ended up being the same one. I can’t picture a wounded animal going near as far or through some of the terrain it did if it was hurt bad. Tough animals for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 PM

A mile is a long ways for any animal to travel if itís mortally hit, particularly if you never bumped it or it never bedded. My guess is that itís still on its feet today.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM
The Man

I have seen a bear with a leg wound bleed pretty good for a long ways. Most of the time you do get a little bit of bone though with that kind of hit.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Bears have the best rejuvenation powers of any animal I have ever dealt with. I seen some with some pretty horrific injuries that over time completely healed to where you never know they had ever been injured.

I suspect your bear is still doing pretty good and on the road to recovery.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 PM

I can't see a lower leg hit with blood out "both ends" or the opposite side you shot. That sounds like a pass through shot. Any leg shot would show in the tracks. One in front of the other is a bear hit someplace other than the lower leg. If you have the time check it out just a little more once it was not pushed. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Bright red, dark, blood color? My guess is a hit farther back that angled forward and a one lung hit on the far side. They can recover from this and go a long way. Bullet and caliber (yes I know it doesn't matter)? They are tough. I too suspect he'll recover.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bright red blood but only on the left side of the trail. It was shot broadside on the right side. 30-30 was the caliber which I know is a little light but I’ve taken bear with it before. It wasn’t spraying out of it but quite a bit of blood in its track. You could tell it’s fur on that side was saturated from when it would brush against logs. I don’t think it was a fatal shot im just curious as to where it hit it. There was no sign whatsoever of a gut shot. I’ve never followed a wounded animal that bled that much and never laid down. It was a good 45 min before we took up the track bc we were trying to get people set in front of where we thought it was going. They had no influence on it either bc it didn’t go the direction we anticipated.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavsteve View Post
It wasnít spraying out of it but quite a bit of blood in its track.

Course it's all a guess, but blood in it's track is an indicator that you hit it in / near one of it's legs. Fat at the impact site that you indicated in your OP, and blood rubbing on brush, I'd say you hit it high in one leg, whichever track the blood was in.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Well bright red indicates a lung hit unless you clipped an artery somewhere. You may have grazed the leg or shoulder but still sounds like a one lung hit to me, even deer can go a long way when you don't take out both lungs, a bear probably farther. I don't like shoulder shots personally for this reason.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:43 AM
dce
Sage

We tracked this bear for over a mile before we caught up to it and finished it off.It was hit in the front of the chest with a 180gr accubond out of a 300 wsm.If you blow the picture up,you can see the gaping wound in the front of the chest.It was very much alive when it was finished off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46362744_10215338430525794_2108957894434095104_n.jpg (102.6 KB, 92 views)
bohunr, buzz, Rockdog and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page