Bear check station? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Bear check station?

Been that they all need checked.Does that mean quartering and packin out Bears is completely out of the question?Seems like it would be next to impossible to lug some of those Bruins out of some places unless they were packed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Have lots of friends, lol , no I do believe you have to keep it whole

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I thought you could, just had to make sure you had all quarters ect... when you brought it to the check station. I could be wrong but i think that is legal but i think the PGC frowns upon it. WW or RSB should be able to answer it.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Banned

good ole boy, did you ever gut and skin a bear. I have done three, I would not want to do it in the woods, you will be grease from your feet to the top of your head.
jimbridger and triggercreep like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

No WW I haven,t.I have never even seen a Bear in my life unless the stuffed ones in Cabela,s count.
Dogface likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 PM

It would be legal to skin and quarter it in the field but you aren't really going to gain much by doing it.

You will still need or want to bring out the entire head, hide and paws plus all the meat. All you would be leaving would be the bones and that is not where the weight of a bear comes from. Just the head and hide are a load. Then the meat is another load. As Woods Walker said even skinning a bear in the field would be a challenge. I have skinned a dozen or so of them and I don't want to do it in the field than pack it out. I figure it would still be easier bring the whole bear out by one means or another.

The worst part of moving a bear is that they are like a big water balloon and no matter where you grab hold and start pulling all of the weight seems to immediately flow to the other end. Once you figure out how to get them hooked up for weight distribution though they aren't too bad moving. By putting a rope around all four feet I was able to drag a 350 pounder up a plank and into the back of a pickup truck by myself back when I was still in my prime. I sure wouldn't want to try it now, forty year later, though. But the point is that figuring out how to get the weight equally distributed is a big part of the challenge when moving a large bear.

Dick Bodenhorn
Retiredusne8 and Woods walker like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
It would be legal to skin and quarter it in the field but you aren't really going to gain much by doing it.

You will still need or want to bring out the entire head, hide and paws plus all the meat. All you would be leaving would be the bones and that is not where the weight of a bear comes from. Just the head and hide are a load. Then the meat is another load. As Woods Walker said even skinning a bear in the field would be a challenge. I have skinned a dozen or so of them and I don't want to do it in the field than pack it out. I figure it would still be easier bring the whole bear out by one means or another.

The worst part of moving a bear is that they are like a big water balloon and no matter where you grab hold and start pulling all of the weight seems to immediately flow to the other end. Once you figure out how to get them hooked up for weight distribution though they aren't too bad moving. By putting a rope around all four feet I was able to drag a 350 pounder up a plank and into the back of a pickup truck by myself back when I was still in my prime. I sure wouldn't want to try it now, forty year later, though. But the point is that figuring out how to get the weight equally distributed is a big part of the challenge when moving a large bear.

Dick Bodenhorn
Really? Where do the regulations say you have to bring out the hide and paws? I've always been under the impression if I shot one I could pack out meat and the head. There is absolutely no way I could drag a bear out of places I hunt. Quartering and packing is a necessity and commonplace on bears out west.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post

Dick Bodenhorn
Thanks.I knew you and WW would set things straight.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The frontiersmen and natives didn't go dragging carcasses all over the woods. They broke them down on the spot and packed them out back to camp just like you are asking about.

I'll bet they could even do it without getting all slopped up in bear fat like an amateur.

With three pieces of rope and a good knife you could have a warm bear skinned out to taxidermy grade in under an hour.......by yourself.
steelhead125 likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17 View Post
The frontiersmen and natives didn't go dragging carcasses all over the woods. They broke them down on the spot and packed them out back to camp just like you are asking about.

I'll bet they could even do it without getting all slopped up in bear fat like an amateur.

With three pieces of rope and a good knife you could have a warm bear skinned out to taxidermy grade in under an hour.......by yourself.

I agree with this statement.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page