extend bear season? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

extend bear season?

I really think the snow will hurt the kill up North, especially in the mountains with the lack of food. We usually only hunt Saturday up there then head to WV. Skipping it this year, going to hunt Perry Tomorrow instead, hope the pgc plows the parking lots.

If the kill is dramatically lower is there any chance the PGC could extend the combined buck/bear areas next week? Lke all of 2G being able to hunt bear on the first monday of buck?
Personally I doubt the kill will be low enough. And even if it was cut by 1/2 I have little faith that the stick in the mud PGC could be flexible enough to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM

I just got back from checking traps in western Armstrong County. I had to cut my way in, trees down everywhere. I ran out of gas for the saw, started pulling stuff with the truck and chain. What I couldn’t pull, I drove over. In order to kill a bear, you’re gonna have to get there first. This is the same area I bear hunt, all the roads and quad trails are trashed with fallen beech brush and small oaks, I fought my way through the trap check, took 4 hours instead of an hour and a half. You can’t see much past bow range in the woods. A lot of Butler county doesn’t have power either....I’m told it’ll be Sunday till it’s restored.

This storm will have an impact on the bear hunting, at least tomorrow.
willyp likes this.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 11-17-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 PM

I wonder how much of the normal roads are inaccessible.

I think in some areas the kill may be up...but in some I think it'll be way down just due to road conditions and just walking in it....supposed to warm some which means it'll be a slippery mess...

I also wonder if some areas with a lack of food if the sows and Cubs won't be holed up? Been a colder than usual fall IMO and in some areas the snow is fairly deep...

Will be interesting to see what happens. But, I don't know if it'll get extended. I know they are definitely expanding in the west and the PGC is battling them in town. My local WCO was running a full out trapline most the year and couldn't keep up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Nature takes care of its own. Not really sure the PGC could ever be equippped to respond to this sorta thing....are you sure we arent going to see a record bear kill?? They are concentrated by a spotty mast crop and trackable. Corn, corn, corn.
Seems like perfect conditions to kill a bunch of boars. Who knows if the ladies are layed up that is a huge factor in the numeros.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 AM
The Man

I too thought with all of the snow that there would be probably a record harvest today.But my Dad said with this weather that they may be denned up.What do you all in Bear country think?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The northern tier got hit hard with snow and lack of food makes you think they might have denned up early. Not many sightings in the northern tier for quite a while. With all the snow, i think some places will not be accessible forcing folks to go else where or not at all. IMO i think it will be a low harvest. Not many people out in my neck of the woods and no shots heard. Almost looks and sounds like the first day of deer season the last 2 years.

4B
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
The northern tier got hit hard with snow and lack of food makes you think they might have denned up early. Not many sightings in the northern tier for quite a while. With all the snow, i think some places will not be accessible forcing folks to go else where or not at all. IMO i think it will be a low harvest. Not many people out in my neck of the woods and no shots heard. Almost looks and sounds like the first day of deer season the last 2 years.
You hunting cherry springs area?
Last weekend of turkey with the fresh snow we cut no fresh bear tracks. This was near Conrad. The bear in that area have disappeared, went to food sources we are sure.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTRDAVE View Post
Last weekend of turkey with the fresh snow we cut no fresh bear tracks. This was near Conrad. The bear in that area have disappeared, went to food sources we are sure.
With the lack of reports i have been getting for up there i stayed home and hunted around Perry county. My brothers, grandpa and their friends went up and are hunting around Cherry Springs. i will be up for the first couple of days of deer though. My 13 year old son will be making his first hunting trip up there. Now if i can find him something to shoot lol is another story.

4B
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Quote:
With the lack of reports i have been getting for up there i stayed home and hunted around Perry county. My brothers, grandpa and their friends went up and are hunting around Cherry Springs. i will be up for the first couple of days of deer though. My 13 year old son will be making his first hunting trip up there. Now if i can find him something to shoot lol is another story.
Goodluck to you and your son. I will be up camp for most of the first week.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Goodluck to you and your son. I will be up camp for most of the first week.
Same to you.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page