Bear Season Drives?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Bear Season Drives??

I started bear hunting in the late 60's in Sullivan & Lycoming Counties. Back then & for quite a few years after it was normal to see/hear large organized drives many times using bull horns & of course the common "yoho, yoho, yoho" driver's yelling. Now it's rare to see any such drives at least in the areas I hunt. I do read here that some are still driving but the number of hunters participating in drives appears far less comparable to years ago. Amazingly enough though.... the bear kills are consistently approaching near record kills each year assuming normal weather etc. conditions. Curious to hear your thoughts plus observations??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lots of drives in the areas we hunt in North Central PA. Our group has close to the 25 person max each year.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

Loggy, due to the moratorium on bear hunting and then it being closed until the PGC beat back the antis who sued to keep the season closed the beard had an opportunity to increase their numbers. PA already had some of the most prolific bears in the country with the most number of triplet cubs. Add to that the fact that we went from a very short season to a longer season in addition to an archery season ad a season in some areas in deer season, it only makes sense that the harvest continues to increase.
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Good points John!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Part of the Community

We drive, usually with a full roster. We are usually the only big group in the area driving.
Most groups are 4-8 guys doing small drives or just posting.

HEY BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
The Man

The harvest is increasing? Near records every year?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
The harvest is increasing? Near records every year?
Decreasing since 2011 I believe.

I was just comparing overall kills from 2015, 16, and 17. Down 9%.
2017 was overall similar to past years, but only thanks to +200 in archery and roughly +300 in the extended season compared to 2015.
Opening day last year really threw a wrench into things as well.

HEY BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:29 PM
The Man

We still drive bear. Our biggest issue is that most of us have taken 1 or 2 bear each and don't want another one. We usually invite a couple people each year to hunt bear with us who actually want one. We usually get 1 or 2 bear a year.

I believe the reason the harvest numbers are high is because the bear population is over double what the PGC once wanted state wide , if I recall correctly.
I know around here it used to be rare to see a bear, and very rare to get one. Now it is a common site to see bear.
Obviously the extended seasons contribute to that as well, but we wouldn't have extended seasons if we didn't have the bear numbers.

Also, our bear hunting in this area used to draw more hunters during the bear only rifle season. With the new extended season, allowing bear to be taken the first week of rifle buck, a lot of hunters chose to use their available days during that week.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
dce
Sage

Every chunk of woods get's driven and re-driven multiple times during bear season my multiple groups of guys around here.Come rifle season,most of the camps are empty.I used to participate but stopped going when my son started to hunt.We were invited to a camp in elk county this year and I'll probably take my son just so he get's a chance to experience that type of hunt.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Sage

MY OP was mainly referring to a relatively small public land land chunk I normally hunt which spans about 120,000 acres. Even in deer season years ago there would be quite a few organized drives which I haven't seen one in the last 10 years or so.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page