Archery Bears - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Archery Bears

Anyone have any luck this week? Seen a big Bruin killed in Butler this week.

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:01 PM

Not yet. Regularly getting thoroughly soaked though.
bobdoo likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 PM

I was going to hunt every evening this week. But with this rain, Iíll pass. Squirrel hunted till it began to rain at noon today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM
Part of the Community

I have not been out yet due to work, but have been following the harvest numbers online. Currently, the county I hunt is near the top harvest numbers statewide and several bears have been killed in townships I hunt in which makes me excited to get out in the woods. I'm hoping to give archery a go Saturday. If not I'll be out in rifle and the extended season for sure.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have heard a of a few bein killed in the area. Do you have any more details about the big one in killed in butler?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Part of the Community

I covered 5 miles while still hunting the other day. I got within 20 yards of over a dozen deer. Around 6pm I spotted a nice 250lb bruin 100 yards away feeding on acorns. He was angling away from me and I kept trying to get in front of him to cut him off. I "chased" him for 15 minutes and finally got to 50 yards. I saw he was changing course and would soon turn broadside so I drew back, and when he hit a small opening, I loosed my arrow, I could see my lighted nock going directly for its mark, until about 10 feet in front of the bear, it hit a twig and made a sharp left turn and stuck in a tree about 5 yards away from the bear. The bear ran 50 yards, stopped, and started feeding again, so I resumed my pursuit, but he was now approaching a laurel thicket and I didn't have enough daylight or real estate to get around in front of him. I shoot my bow very often and I am dialed in pretty well up to 60 yards so I had no issue with the distance of that shot. With it being almost dark now, I popped out onto a gas line and was going to walk it back to my truck. Looking off into the distance, I could see another bear half a mile away walking up the gas line as it climbed an opposing mountain face. For a second, I thought about hustling down to put a stalk on it, but I knew I was just about out of daylight. I'll be back out this evening to hunt through a few more natural feeding areas.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman1118 View Post
I have heard a of a few bein killed in the area. Do you have any more details about the big one in killed in butler?
No, Harvest map has 2 Archery bears killed in northern Butler.

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Part of the Community

Seen one Tuesday night in Forest county. Was more focused on tree hunting at first and moved over a little. Gonna hit it hard next two days
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:03 AM
dgc
Hooked on HuntingPa

saw quite a few bears had shots on some smaller ones but have harvested a few bears and was looking for something bigger all in all a good week
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Part of the Community

Saw 2 bears total out of 4 evenings of hunting. 22 does and 4 bucks. All still hunting big woods. Shot a doe today at 5 yards as I would rather fill my doe tag with a bow than with a rifle. Quickly gutted her and drug her back to the truck and then continued hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page