Bears Disappeard - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bears Disappeard

This summer, we were thick with bears, as we usually are. Haven't seen a bear or got a trail cam pic of one in a while. We have blueberries, cherries and beech on our property. No oaks. No agriculture. Wondering if there's a bumper acron crop this year. Nearest oaks are maybe 3 miles away. There are corn fields about 4 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

It sounds like the food on your property is mostly gone except the beech and it takes a lot of beechnuts to fill a bears belly. Bears live by their stomach, they go where the food is.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, that is what it sounds like. Some years they stick around through buck season and later. I don't know what holds them in those years. Maybe those are good beech years. I'll bet the acorns on the bottom of the mountain are doing better than the beeches on the top this year.

On the bright side, haven't had a trail camera destroyed lately.
bohunr and 300winsniper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, that would be my guess. I have had 4 different bears on our trail camera in the last 3 weeks. We see some in the summer but it always seems like there are a lot more around in the fall. We have a ton of oak on our property and around it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have tons of blueberries which would exlain their abundance in summer. Also lots of cherries, which will hold them into September. Then beech is the only mast. We also didn't plant anything this year. No turnips or radishes. Also, we have an orchard of about 20 apple trees. They were all barren this year. Must have had a late frost in the spring.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can have some of my bears...lol
I pulled 4 cameras last Sunday and I have 6 different bears on the one including 3 sows with cubs ! The Sunday before that I pulled 6 cams and I had 3 on one of those cameras and singles on a couple of the others ! Last week when hunting the evening I climbed down form my stand when I couldn't see my pin clearly for a good shot and headed back to the truck which is about a mile or so back in and I heard a bear huff and then heard cubs going up a tree fairly close. With only a small green flashlight I stopped to try and figure out where they were and started yelling out to the bear. I never did see them but it sent a chill down my spine. I will be getting my pistol permit renewed and start carrying it with me again just for safety ! The past couple years I have seen more and more bears in my area and allot of them have collars on them ! I know they were doing a study on them in this area but I can
t help but wonder if some of them might be transplants from New Jersey because of the ban on bear hunting in most of the state and we are helping with the overflow ! I have hunted this area my whole life and have never seen so many ! Several over the summer had mange and were skin and bones ! We need to do something about them soon as they are getting out of control !!

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We usually do have lots of bears. Maybe even too many. They just seemed to have vanished lately. Must be a shifting food source. I'm sure they'll be back.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:30 PM
dgc
Frequent Contributor

probably in corn fields or around oak trees check out my pics in archery bear post
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Back in the 80s I knew guys that would see bears crossing the road at night in certain areas of NW PA. They would archery hunt these areas for deer and would see bears every now and then, but come small game season the bears would disappear completely. Older guys tell me that bears know posted land is safe for them, but its always the food source that keep bear around.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They do it to us every single year. I’m finally at the point in my life where I really just wanna know where they go an why. Not even to kill one just to finally answer my question lol.
300winsniper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page