Elk Guide Killed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Elk Guide Killed

His client and him left the elk in the woods. Too dark. When the were gutting the elk, a bear came running in and,attacked both of them.the client got away and the guide was killed. The client got hurt but not too bad. Be careful out there. This was in Wyoming this week.

Last edited by bobcat1; 09-20-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Remove post. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 AM
Administrator

It seems like we hear about this sort of thing happening out in Wyoming or Montana every couple of years. Those Brown bears know that the sound of a gunshot means a free meal. Some wait until the humans leave, some don't wait.
Pahack likes this.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 AM
The Man

Sorry to hear about this. Not to be overly technical, but these are grizzlies and not brown bears. There's a difference.

Also, this was an archery hunt, so there was no gunshot to associate with a free meal. Evidently, from the report that I read, the hunter shot the elk one evening and they didn't recover it until the next day so it laid around in the woods for a period of time. It also said there was more than one bear involved so it was possibly a sow with cub. Kind of a perfect storm for something to happen.
When I was a guide in Montana, we were not permitted to carry a firearm of any kind while guiding. If that was the case here as well, and all they had was a bow, it was definitely a bad situation.
This is just one more reason why that federal judge needs to get out of the way of the proposed grizzly hunts in those states. Griz are amazing animals, but until they are hunted a little and learn to have a fear of humans, they will continue to be emboldened and situations like this will occur. It's sad for everyone involved, even the bear, which will likely be hunted down and euthanized if they can find it. Definitely sad for the guide and the hunter. Prayers go out to them and their families.
R. S. B., bohunr, Loggy and 12 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Not to be overly technical, but these are grizzlies and not brown bears. There's a difference.

Also, this was an archery hunt, so there was no gunshot to associate with a free meal. Evidently, from the report that I read, the hunter shot the elk one evening and they didn't recover it until the next day so it laid around in the woods for a period of time. It also said there was more than one bear involved so it was possibly a sow with cub. Kind of a perfect storm for something to happen.
When I was a guide in Montana, we were not permitted to carry a firearm of any kind while guiding. If that was the case here as well, and all they had was a bow, it was definitely a bad situation.
This is just one more reason why that federal judge needs to get out of the way of the proposed grizzly hunts in those states. Griz are amazing animals, but until they are hunted a little and learn to have a fear of humans, they will continue to be emboldened and situations like this will occur. It's sad for everyone involved, even the bear, which will likely be hunted down and euthanized if they can find it. Definitely sad for the guide and the hunter. Prayers go out to them and their families.
From what I read the client had a pistol in his pack. Such a shame. The guide had a family of 5.
bohunr and Woods walker like this.
post #5 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Says he actually had the pistol out, but did not shoot. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/1326975002/
post #6 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:40 AM

He threw the gun to a man being attacked by a bear? Wasn't safe to shoot? From the story he didn't man up... but I hope more comes out on this so the picture gets clearer. I just pray for the guides family at this time. May god bless them in this tough time.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:08 PM

post #8 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Banned

I would nit be so quick to say the client did not "man up". We were not there and we don't know the position of the guide or the bear and we don't know what kind of handgun shot the client was and I don't remember reading the caliber of the hand gun either. If the guy thought shooting would be to dangerous to the guide and thought he would be better served by having the gun, I am not going to second guess him, I was not there. It was a terrible ordeal to have to go through and I am sure the guy feels terrible about his guide dying.
post #9 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM
The Man

I am sure he didn't shoot for fear of hitting the guide. My only question is why didn't he shoot when the bear came after him? I am interested to hear what the final report says.
post #10 of 239 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I would nit be so quick to say the client did not "man up". We were not there and we don't know the position of the guide or the bear and we don't know what kind of handgun shot the client was and I don't remember reading the caliber of the hand gun either. If the guy thought shooting would be to dangerous to the guide and thought he would be better served by having the gun, I am not going to second guess him, I was not there. It was a terrible ordeal to have to go through and I am sure the guy feels terrible about his guide dying.
I totally get your point. That's why I said the story seems that way and made it sound that way. If I had a handgun, and I was in killer bear country, it would be in a chest rig or on my strong side so I can get it. Not in my pack. I saw a few grizzly when I was deer hunting in Montana. My buddies dad took every precaution to ensure we were safe when we were butchering a deer out there. It was a 416 rem mag. Anyway, The dude is from Florida, and probably never saw a bear in his life cause I hunted Florida for years when I was in the military. They are rare. With that said, I wouldn't leave any of you alone or behind for nothing. I get it we weren't there, but man, you just don't give up and leave a man behind. There is no doubt he has a lot to live with. The death of another human, especially someone you got to know, is going to cause you issues for the rest of your natural life. It never goes away.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page