Big Calibers and Moving Targets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Big Calibers and Moving Targets

Since there have been a few topics that turned into this debate lately, I thoguht I would start a thread for discussing it. Also, I read a story in Game News today that sort of illustrates my point, in that people(it seems even more common among bear hunters) don't always wait for a good shot, and fling lead when the opportunity presents itself. The story was in the August 2001 issues, on page 7. It described a day of bear huntning in PA, where 5 drives took place. On the first drive of the day, 23 shots were fired, at 3 or more bears. Two of them were killed, one was wounded an never found. 23 shots at 3 bears is rediculous! But it gets better. A drive or two later, another bear was shot at numerous times and wounded. On the subsequent drive, it was pushed out again, and killed. It had been hit in the front of the back leg. On another drive, one of the shooters hit a bear, it fell down at the shot, but no blood was found, and that bear was never recovered. At the end of the story, the totals were given. Five drives executed, 16 bears seen, 5 bears killed, and 54 shot fired. How in the world is it possible to fire 54 shots, at 16 targets, let alone only getting 6 of them! I can't possibly see how those are all good, safe, aimed shots. It's not possible. I know it's not how everyone hunts, but it seems like the majority of bears hunters buy a big gun, and shoot as soon as they see black, and hope they make a good shot. Not wait for a good shaot ans take it when you have it. Anyone else out there think 54 shots at 16 bears is a little crazy?

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Re: Big Calibers and Moving Targets

Have never participated in a bear drive, but from what
I hear black bears are not as slow and clumsy as they
look. Also most drives take place in heavy cover.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM

sorry to be the bearer(pun intended)of bad news but not all hunting situations are like they are on tv shooting at standing targets at 50 yds for example. do some hunters take unethical shots yes they do but not all running shots are unethical. mistakes happen in the bear woods and yes they can happen 48 times in 1 day. not getting on a high horse but dont knock a guy till you have walked a day in his shoes. JMHO

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Your right and a bear can move around the woods as quite as a mouse. Your right again if drivers aren't in the tangles they might as well kept the stove goin...later
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811
..........it seems like the majority of bears hunters buy a big gun, and shoot as soon as they see black, and hope they make a good shot. Not wait for a good shaot ans take it when you have it. Anyone else out there think 54 shots at 16 bears is a little crazy?
If a guy buys a big gun and believes it will be compensatory for poor shot placement, he will be sadly disappointed. If a guy does not realize that there is a difference in "acceptable shot placement" between, say, a .270 Win and a .416 Rem Mag he will be sadly mistaken. As I have said before, the Outdoor Channel has brain-trained the general populace to think the only way to a critter's vitals is, necessarily, via a standing, broadside shot.I'm here to tell you that is patently absurd.....under the right circumstances.

54 shots at 16 bears is a whisker over 3 shots per bear seen. Still seems like a lot of lead flung for a conversion rate of only 9 1/4% on bears killed. But I wasn't there. I don't know all the circumstances. So I won't judge.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Strut, you hit the nail on the head "under the right circumstances". If you read the article, they didn't even shoot at all the bears they saw, so that would bring the percentages down even more.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand91
mistakes happen in the bear woods and yes they can happen 48 times in 1 day. not getting on a high horse but dont knock a guy till you have walked a day in his shoes. JMHO

You mean like hunting bears in pa? And killing them? I've done it, it doesn't require flining lead at any black fur you see. We do drives, we hunt crazy thick stuff, and the guys shoot at bears that are moving. But not at bears they can't clearly see, and not at bears doing mach 12.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
The Man

I do not take any shot that I consider to be unethical. However, I was on a bear drive once where a bear came by me at around 150 yards. I was in a treestand and could see it above the laurel that I was in and it was skirting a small rise in the ground. It stopped broadside and pretty clear. I shot and knocked it down. As luck would have it, it ran toward me. It would stop and go, stop and go in and out of thick laurel. As circumstance unfolded, I ended up firng 12 shots at that one bear and only hit it twice. Now, I am no crackshot, but I hit the vast majority of what I shoot at. I was trying my best, but under those particular circumstances I just couldn't get a good shot into that bear. I definitely fired more shots than I would have, but I knew I already had a bullet in it. I am still sick about it to this day, but it is what it is. Unless you are there to see things for yourself, I wouldn't rush to be so judgemental.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
The Man

That's understandable, and you took a good shot your first shot. After you wounded it, you did the right thing by trying to get snother bullet into it, however you could. It's not guys like that, that rub me the wrong way. It's the ones that have all the intention in the world of taking ANY shot at a bear, simply because it's a bear, and they're hard to come by.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Kudu,

sorry to hear that, better luck next time.

not all well aimed shots go as planned. i once shot a 9 point that dropped right there, broke its neck, really close shot.

when i turned it over to dress it out i found a bullet hole behind the front leg that came out between the front legs.

what happened was another hunter shot this deer from a treestand, the bullet went where he had aimed, right behind the front leg.

the bullet hit a rib, followed the rib on a downward angle and exited between the front legs hitting nothing vital, just a shallow flesh wound that wouldnt have killed that deer.

he walked over to me as he was tracking the pin drops of blood in the snow and we discussed it, i offered the deer to him, but he declined. he told me that his shot would not have resulted in that deer being killed and offered to help me drag it out.

sometimes shots dont go as planned no matter how careful and skilled some people are and you get to meet some really nice folks in the woods, that was a nice day.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page