Colorado Elk Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Colorado Elk Hunt

Anybody thinking about an Elk hunt in Colorado next year? I lived out there and did some Elk guiding some years ago. I know some good spots. I had my own horses, but all you need is a good 4x4 and backpacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Re: Colorado Elk Hunt

I'll be doing it with my friends again next year (as well as this year). Drew my muledeer tag this season so I'm pumped!

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Heading out this year. Are you allowed to use an atv on public land. I never took one but see a-lot of guys hauling them. If I took one I would only use it to haul out my kill if its legal. We are hunting Grand Mesa where have you huntied 264Winmag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

I am going to try and get a cow permit for my Flint lock next year. And thanks for the help. But I already have a tree on Electric Mountain picked out. I only pray I can make it back to that tree some day!!

I can close my eyes and see that spot any time I want. Most beautiful place in the world!! Especially with 24 inches of snow!! Tom.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hi, An ATV has to be registered in Colorado. A non resident permit is $25, and you can't take it off of a dirt road. A 4x4 truck will do the same job. I lived in 3 spots. Saguache, at the north end of the San Luis Valley. Lots of Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope there, but lots of hunters. I saw a trophy Elk shot up in the Sangre De Christo mountains on the east side of the valley, there are less hunters up there because of the climb, but if you get something it's all downhill. Bonanza ghost town (13,500 ft.). And Telluride in the San Juan's. I like it there because it's not known for hunting, it's known for skiing and movie stars. It's a rugged area, but there are some Elk in there. I saw a trophy Mule Deer on Mt. Dallas, and not many people hunt there or on Mt. Wilson.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

More and more of the US Forest is closed to ATV's.

There are a lot of Forest Service Roads that are little more than jeep trails, where you can ride them.

My first CO elk kill another hunter from LA drove up the trail as I was gutting it (It ran to the edge of the old loggging road and died there, nice of it) and asked did I want help pulling it out. Fellow had the elk back to the parking lot before I was there and all he would take was a beer.

One caution with bringing your own ATV, be sure to know how to adjust the air/fuel mixture for altitude. I saw a lot of guys with trouble running theirs and that was the problem, set for eastern altitudes running at 10K +. Less O2
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Part of the Community

Heading out to unit 66 in september. Packing in 10 miles. Hunted many times on the other side of mountain from Tellride (Ouray)in 65 (OTC) many times, good muley area also. All I do is archery.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Regular Visitor

I'm going on my first elk hunt in Oct.We are going to the area around Meeker, and Morapas Creek.Sleepy Cat Peak would be in that area I am told. We are renting horses as I am a Cancer survivor and tire fast. One of the fellows who invited me has gone in that area for 20 yrs., yet any advice I welcome. I guess the big question is my choice of rifle, 3006 or 7mm Rem Mag.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck on your first out west adventure! Either rifle will be fine, if you have both take the one you shoot the best.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan
I'm going on my first elk hunt in Oct.We are going to the area around Meeker, and Morapas Creek.Sleepy Cat Peak would be in that area I am told. We are renting horses as I am a Cancer survivor and tire fast. One of the fellows who invited me has gone in that area for 20 yrs., yet any advice I welcome. I guess the big question is my choice of rifle, 3006 or 7mm Rem Mag.

i am going in october also around the meeker area and renting horses too.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page