Man discharges gun after bear approaches 2-yr-old - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Man discharges gun after bear approaches 2-yr-old

<a href="http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/man-discharges-gun-after-bear-approaches-2-year-old-1.1166861#axzz1QIF5VXi1" target="_blank">A Tobyhanna man will not face charges from the state Game Commission after discharging a firearm in a residential area in order to scare away a bear on Wednesday.

Wayne Darmand heard a group of children screaming in the backyard of a residence at 6329 Ventnor Drive in Pocono Country Place just after 2 p.m., Pocono Mountain Regional Police said.

Mr. Darmand saw a black bear approaching a 2-year-old girl, who had candy in her hand. He ran home for a handgun and returned to a yard adjacent from the girl and the bear. Trying to scare off the bear, Mr. Darmand fired into the ground. The bear walked away, but returned toward the girl, prompting Mr. Darmand to fire again. When the bear still did not retreat, Mr. Darmand fired in the bear's direction. Finally, the bear left.

Tim Conway, information and education supervisor for the northeast region with the Game Commission, said the agency had two officers respond to the situation. They saw the bear several times after the incident, and it did not appear to be injured. Efforts to reach Mr. Darmand were unsuccessful Friday.

"They're just looking for food," Mr. Conway said of the bear. "I hate to tell people that they're not a threat, because every animal - wild or domestic - can be a threat any time. But black bears in Pennsylvania are used to living around people."

He did say, however, he wouldn't support reacting as Mr. Darmand did.

"I wouldn't advise discharging a firearm in that area at all. Throw a rake, broom or rock at the animal. I'm sure he thought that (it was necessary), but it's not necessarily the place to be discharging a firearm," Mr. Conway s.
</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Man discharges gun after bear approaches 2-yr-old

A hungry bear is approaching my kid, who by the way I read had candy all over the place, and I'm gonna throw a rake at it!! Who comes up with this stuff?
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I agree! The gun would be my 1st choice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i would reason with the bear, appealing to his sense of decency and asking him nicely to leave. then i would put 350 grains of 450 marlin goodness through him end-to-end.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:18 PM
The Man

More sensationalized fear-based drama in the local rag...who could imagine? The guy ran home for his gun when he saw a black bear headed towards a 2 year old with a candy bar...there wouldn't be time to do any such thing if that bear really wanted that candy bar! Getting between the bear and the child with a yard rake would have been sufficient, IMO, of course, I'm not terrified of bears...especially a PA black bear. Luckily, nobody was injured by bullet fragments...a lot rocks to ricochet off of here in the Poconos!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanookOdaNorth
More sensationalized fear-based drama
I don't read the article that way...it seems serious to me.

I doubt that the neighbor had a yard rake in his back pocket, so if he had to go home for anything the gun was the right choice.

PA bears are very fast & powerful...the 2 yr old was in danger IMO. I am glad things turned out OK for all...even the bear.
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanookOdaNorth
More sensationalized fear-based drama in the local rag...who could imagine? The guy ran home for his gun when he saw a black bear headed towards a 2 year old with a candy bar...there wouldn't be time to do any such thing if that bear really wanted that candy bar! Getting between the bear and the child with a yard rake would have been sufficient, IMO, of course, I'm not terrified of bears...especially a PA black bear. Luckily, nobody was injured by bullet fragments...a lot rocks to ricochet off of here in the Poconos!

I agree, he had time to run home and get his gun, in the time that took why not get the girl out of there?

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkrane
A hungry bear is approaching my kid, who by the way I read had candy all over the place, and I'm gonna throw a rake at it!! Who comes up with this stuff?
Who comes up with this stuff you ask?

Why it is people with many years of dealing with hundreds and perhaps even thousands of bear incidents. The person who came up with it was someone who obviously knows much more about bears and their behavior than the guy who figured he needed to run home and get a gun or any of the people thinking a gun was needed.

If that bear had wanted anyone’s candy it would have had it before anyone had an instant to even think about going to get a gun.

I have dealt with thousands of bear complaints and bears. I have had MANY cubs in my hands and bawling while mom was watching, popping her teeth and trying to scare me off. I have been in Penna. campgrounds dozens upon dozens of times with bears all around looking for food where people were camping. I have had bears in dumpsters where I walked up and poked them with a stick to run them off. I have walked on my porch and beat the snot out of a number of bears with a broom when they came looking for food. Nor one time have I ever needed to even think about shooting a bear or shooting near one to scare it off.

This hysteria over bears is simply the result of people not knowing much of anything about bears or their behavior. People should be MUCH more concerned about any dog running loose hurting someone, especial kids, than a bear.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

plus this guy discharged a handgun in one of the largest developements in the poconos.ten of thousands of people around.not a good choice.
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietsch
plus this guy discharged a handgun in one of the largest developements in the poconos.ten of thousands of people around.not a good choice.
I was thinking the same thing, how close was the bear to the girl? If it was close then he fired his gun in the direction of the girl. If it wasn't that close then he could have probably got the girl out of there with out firing.

I wasn't there so I don't know just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page