Big Bruin whats your guess - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Big Bruin whats your guess

Here is a pic of the front yard visitor. Pics was taken late May. This guy looks about 350-400 to me whats your guess? How big do you think he will get come the season. Has tags in both his ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Big Bruin whats your guess

Big Boy thats for sure.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah hes a big ole bear. Sorry for the pic quality mom sent me down pics and I took a pic of the pic lol. He comes in every 3 days must be right in the middle of his main travel route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice bear,but nothing to compare to.as for the weight gain i killed one that was trapped in may of 09 and estimated to be 450lbs and killed him november of the same year that weighed 640.so with the right food he could get lots bigger
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM

that bear will be close to 600 pounds in the late fall.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would like a couple more pictures, but from what I can see. Looking at the head to ear size, and amount of clearance between belly and the ground, I'll guess 250#.
Nice bear.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will try and get more pics up of him this was the best I feel for judgin weight. Our camp shot a 225lber a few years back and this bear is way bigger then that by far. I saw him in person in the middle of may turkey hunting he is an absolute brute especially considering he has not been out for more then a couple of months. He has absolutely no fear of humans at all what so ever. My parents dogs bark at him he doesn't run. He was eating in the garden and they were yelling at him he didn't flinch or move. One evening they were washing dishes next to the patio with the door open he came from around the house and looked right in the screen at my parents. He has showed no aggression but some of the encounters have been a little close for comfort compared to other bears frequently seen in the area. Hopefully he hangs around till November
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here's a picture of my son with a 510 pounder he killed in 04 for comparison. My son is 6 feet and 200 pounds.
People tend to over estimate the size of bears, myself included. On a nice bear I always subtract 100 to 150 pounds from the weight of my first estimate, have always been closer to the correct weight when I do it this way.
A real big bear's ears will look very small compared to the size of it's head and it's belly will almost touch the ground when on it's on all four.
Had a estimated 150 pounder on the back porch a couple of years ago that was tearing down the thistle seed feeder. I turned the light on, wife & I standing at the sliding glass door with the dog at our feet barking it's fool head off. Bear didn't leave until the flash camera went off. Then it still tried to pull the feeder , that by now was laying on the deck,off the deck by standing on it's hind legs and reaching through the railing. When food is involved they tend to stick around.
Saw a 250 or so near camp yesterday, that ran down the dirt road in front of the truck for 50 yards or so. First though was 100 pounds higher, but I'm probably closer at the 250 estimate. It was probably a male out looking for a female, it's that time of the year.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 AM

That's a big bruin.

Never Misses
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 AM
The Man

Looking at the relative size of the ears, the depth of the head, the thickness of the "fore arms" and width of the rump, I'd say you are not out of line with your 400 lb. estimate. That is a nice sized bear. Would be a bit easier with other items in the photo to use as scale.

I got these trailcam pics of a nasty big old boar last spring ('09). My estimate was 600-ish on this guy. He is a Booner, no question.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page