PA's .270 caliber Elk minimum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PA's .270 caliber Elk minimum

Do you think .270 caliber is logical minimum for PA to impose on Elk hunters? I have questions regarding that law. On another forum that I belong to there is a well known gun maker and Elk hunter who posts there and he has stated that the .264 Win mag is his favorite Elk cartridge. It's not even legal here. I feel the various 6.5's are enough gun for Elk for anyone and I wouldn't be afraid to pursue them with a .25-06 or the equivalent with good bullets. I just wonder about a .270 minimum for Elk in a state where you are allowed to use a .17 Remington for deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: PA's .270 caliber Elk minimum

I shot a 300 lb Alberta Whitetail broad side through the lungs at 75 yards , He sucked up those 2 160 grain 270 core loks with out even flinching and ran out of sight like He wasn't even hurt . I found Him about 80 yards away stone dead . Although all circumstances are different I would not hunt elk with anything smaller than a 30-06 . Only My opinion
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

They don't make 160 grain Core-Lokts for the .270. Did you mean 150?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM

I guess ya gotta have some sort of minimum, but .27 does seem high, especially with the quality of bullets made today. I wouldn't have any doubts about a 6.5.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

I think you guys should be pushing for any tag holder to pass their tag down to a mentored youth instead of worrying about what we're not allowed to kill one with.
We need to get todays youth involved.
post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM

I think a 6.5 is enough with good placement as with anything.

I will never vote yes for passing down a tag. it gives dad 2 chances to fill tags with less than legal species. if kids want to hunt they will, no one made it any easier for me.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700varmint
I think a 6.5 is enough with good placement as with anything.

I will never vote yes for passing down a tag. it gives dad 2 chances to fill tags with less than legal species. if kids want to hunt they will, no one made it any easier for me.

I have no interest in the tag issue either.
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
The Man

I have no problem with the .270 minimum. Almost everyone has, or has access to, a rifle .270 or bigger. It makes sense to me. Elk are big animals and you need to make the rule "idiot proof". Isn't there a spec on the bullet weight also??? If you say a 6.5 is ok, you open a can up. There are some pipsqueak 6.5 rounds out there and light bullets available. If someone uses one of those combos it could be inadequate for elk. Sure a .264 Win Mag with a 160 grain bullet will kill an elk easy but not all 6.5's are .264 mags. But you can't get into specifying certain 6.5's are ok and certain are not. Not everyone places their shot perfect. Not everyone uses good bullets of adequate weight. The problem here is that most of us on here are logical and rational thinkers about this stuff and rules are made to police and encompass some folks who are not. Would I use a .260 Rem or a .25-06 for PA elk? Yes. But I still have no problem with the minimum in place now.
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 PM

How dose passin down a tag have anything to do with a .270 I know sometimes we get off topic but yo 4th. post??? IMO in Pa. good bullet in .270 would do fine. Thinkin most shots close. Since I have something better in .308 dia. I'ed use it, but if I was so LUCKY to win draw in Pa. I'ed hunt with what I have and a .270 I have. Make any sense???...later
post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawanajim
I think you guys should be pushing for any tag holder to pass their tag down to a mentored youth instead of worrying about what we're not allowed to kill one with.
We need to get todays youth involved.
Bud, you're barking up the wrong tree..We're talking about guns here, take your agenda over to the political forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page