The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Replacement Lock

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Mad_Jack 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with L&R replacement locks for T.C., Lyman, and/or Investarms flintlocks? I'm interested to know how they compare to the modern coilspring locks in terms of reliability, sparking, and speed/lock time. Thanks for your input!

#4 ·
The folks at L&R understand flint lock geometry and proper steel alloys better than the big production folks. I have L&R locks on a few of my guns. They are first rate. Far superior to the average production lock. I have never used one of their replacement locks for a TC, Lyman etc. the locks I have are on custom and semi custom guns. I can't imagine why they would be any lesser quality. It is a fair chunk of change to make a production gun work the way it should in the first place.

RMC had the right idea using L&R locks to build their guns. I have several locks by various manufacturers, Davis, Siler (now made by Chambers), North Star, Cochran, L&R, Dixie, Miruko (sp?), CVA, Traditions, Lyman, TC, Goulcher, etc. L&R is right up there with Davis and Siler.

I do understand that the L&R replacement locks require rather minor fitting and aren't exactly drop in replacements.

#6 ·
nessmuk said:
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
How much woodwork/gunsmithing did you need to do to replace it? I am leaning this way myself? Also, are the locks still $100? That`s what they were a few years ago, haven`t looked recently.

#8 ·
My hunting buddy ordered one thru Track fo the Wolf last fall and it was bckordered so long he ended up cancelling the order. Something like 3 months. I would make darn sure it was a stock item or get a definite lead time for it up front. He was none to pleased and likely will never buy from them again.

#9 ·
lil griz said:
I was recently checking them out as i need to replace the one on my Hawken and Track of the Wolf has them for right around 150.00...That was for the Flintlock..

Wow-$150. They have gone up 50% in a few years. That`s worse than the grocery stores which prices are out of control.

#11 ·
or you could do what my dad did with his TC lock off of his Renegade. He took to to Cabincreek and Brad Emig put a new frizzen and tuned the lock. I don't think he paid much more than 100$ and it is now almost as fast as the Siler I have in my flinter

#12 ·
octagon said:
nessmuk said:
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
How much woodwork/gunsmithing did you need to do to replace it? I am leaning this way myself? Also, are the locks still $100? That`s what they were a few years ago, haven`t looked recently.
No gunsmithing, and as for woodwork I used a 1/4" chisel and an exacto knife to remove a small amount of wood. It took longer to sharpen the chisel than to do the job.

The locks are up to $150.00 new, but sometimes you can find them used on the net for about $100.00.

#13 ·
nessmuk said:
octagon said:
nessmuk said:
No gunsmithing, and as for woodwork I used a 1/4" chisel and an exacto knife to remove a small amount of wood. It took longer to sharpen the chisel than to do the job.

The locks are up to $150.00 new, but sometimes you can find them used on the net for about $100.00.
Thank you

#14 ·
I've had no issues with the factory lock on the Lyman GPR but wanted to talk to someone about upgrading. I made a pilgrimage to the hallowed "Dixons". Spoke to the the Guru and he advised that if I was not having any issues there was no need to spend the money. I appreciated the fact he was honest and gave up a sale.
Gonna have to wait till issues develop to make a swap!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.