papinkies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

papinkies

Yesterday I was out looking for honey mushrooms in one of my usual spots but the ground was way too dry for them. So today I went shooting with a friend and lo and behold there were about 100 honey mushrooms growing on a tree right in the range. I deceided against picking them because they had bullets and ammo casings littered all around them.

So did I miss most of honey mushroom season or has the lack of rain in my area delayed them from coming up? On the flip side it is supposed to rain in my area for atleast three days so that might bring them up...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
The Man

Re: papinkies

I can't answer your question, but can tell you of my own experience. I found some puffballs a couple weeks ago, and decided to let them grow a little before I got them. I cut them off on Friday evening, but when I cut them open Saturday morning, they were already starting to yellow inside. There I stood with a couple ribeyes cubed up and starting to brown, and my eggs already mixed with Tabasco and cheddar. "Dissappointing" just doesn't seem to descibe the feeling.......

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

hmmm...went back out this afternoon...

I found 3 ramshead on a live red oak..
one was 6 inches by a foot (picked that one)
two were 2 inches by 3 inches (left them)

I also found one that was two foot by two foot and ten inches high.....all yellow and buggy.

I also found about two hundred papinkies that were way past prime....i guess that I missed papinkie season after all. That is unless the rain that comes this week brings more out. I guess that I thought that the papinkies wouldn't be out because it hasn't rained in my area. I will have another look on thurday to check on the small grifola and to see if the rain brings out more papinkies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

It appears to be early in NW Pa for honey mushrooms. I have only seen a few small ones so far. We picked a ton of aborted entolomas today. We also found a couple of sheephead that were getting old but were still salvageable. We left a few little ones.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
GMO
Part of the Community

picked about a half bushel yesterday
Most were nice, a few were a day or two over prime
Hope the rain brings some more out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page