Fox Grapes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Fox Grapes

Some of you in the past have showed interest in picking fox grapes and making either Wine or Jelly...

Was out tonight at 1 of my favorite places to pick Fox Grapes....got maybe 4 pounds..Seems someone else found my little Secret spot, but they didn't pick the grapes that they had to work to pick them...

They are Ripe and Ready to be picked!

Give it another week and you'll be able to follow your Nose to those that are DEAD RIPE and Hidden!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Fox Grapes

I picked about 7-8lbs yesterday. There's probably another 5+lbs at the spot but it got dark on me and I could only do so much with the cherry picker I was using. Off to make some jelly!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Ship,

You didn't happen to pick there at the 1 place I told you about that is East of the Gun Club??

I was thinking of going there today and picking some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I didn't pick there, but I did check it and theres very little there.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

when they mowed the 1 field off and put the Soccer/Baseball fields in back there behind the pond, they tore up a mess of Fox Grapes, Black Berries, Black Raspberry and Elderberries...

I remember back in the 70s going with my Mom and Dad and brothers and sisters and picking and picking and picking all over the place back there...Had to wade around in mud and muck..all that used to be was an over grown swamp there behind the pond!

Guess I'm just going to be stuck with making only Jelly this year, doesn't look like there is going to be enough for wine making!

The place I was at last evening, I think I had told you about it....the field I had found 3 years ago where there was an Old Vineyard, someone from the state had went in and bush hogged a big trail back around the grape vines and also went around and mowed the hidden Fox Grapes open to be able to pick...

Who ever was picking there did not try their best to get the high up grapes, they just picked what was at head level and left the rest hang up in the tree limbs...

Took very little effort to pull on a limb and get the grapes down to pick without breaking tree limbs or ripping vines apart...

I think I'm going to look at the pear pole picker my Mom still has and see if it will work for getting high up grapes...I know where there is a bunch up high on the Farm I hunt and Trap on...would be easy to pick them if there was a tree limb hanging down about 8 feet lower...all the wines are hanging up at about 14 feet and there is a good 10 pounds of grapes hunging on the vines!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use either a limb trimmer or cherry picker for getting the high ones. With the limb trimmer I can get the ones within 15 feet of the ground and the cherry picker allows me to get at least 30 feet. I also take a rake with me. I'll first go through ones on the ground and find which are still good then I take the rake and rake the area clear. Using the cherry picker or limb trimmer I'll shake the vines and the grapes come raining down. Since I know all of the bad ones are gone, everything in the area is good to go.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

OK YOU GUYS STUMPED ME ON THIS ONE. WHAT IS A FOX GRAPES? WHERE DO YOU FIND THEM? AND ARE THEY ANYTHING LIKE THE RANDOM WILD GRAPES THAT MAKE UP MANY A DEER THICKET?

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Fox Grapes are BIG Grapes that grow along creeks or near water...

If you are meaning the small grapes, NO that is not what we are talking about..

What we are talking about are Grapes that are normally bigger then a Cultivated Concord Grape and are found almost all over PA...

Walk a Stream this time of year and pay close attention to Vines, some places you might have to look up high to see grapes, other places they have nothing to climb and will be low to the ground....

Close to the time where if you walk an area that holds Fox Grapes, you will be able to let your Nose lead you to them...when they get DEAD Ripe, you can smell them a good 100 yards away!

Can't tell you any of the hiding places I know...I already Told Ship about 2 places a few years back and he and I take care of them....

Once you find a Spot, DON'T Tell about it (Unless you Trust the person to not tell others)or you will end up loosing out on that place!

Fox Grapes are not worth Money like Wild Ginseng, but when you find spots to pick from, you tend to keep hush hush on them for they very GOOD made into Wine or Jelly!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Here is a site that shows pictures of the different stages of the Fox Grapes and will help you out on what to look for...

http://www.all-creatures.org/pica/ftshl-grape.html

If you find a Big Cluster of them, you got a Good Spot...mostly, they are 4-8 per cluster!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

WWD, THANKS! i thought i knew what there was to know about pa wild edibles. but you educated me today, thanks again. so they are found all over pa not just certain areas? can you give me an idea of areas i would want to check? like large creek or ponds, lakes? or do you find them near any water like small feeder streams would these be good places to look? what smell do they give off? i take it they are pretty hard to find, and not very common, so i understand you if you dont want to give away your secrets

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page