Fox Grapes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Fox Grapes

They are Ripe, better get them while they last!

Wife and I were out today and picked a 5 gallon bucket full to make jelly, next amount we pick goes for Wine!

1 place there was a hen turkey was picking away at grapes that had fallen on the ground, another place the grapes were already dried up on the vine, nice sized grapes and a good amount to the pods but not alot over all on the vines like years past!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Fox Grapes

I've only checked one of my 3 usual spots so far and there was absolutely nothing there. The leaves and ground were extremely dry. I'm assuming the grapes dried up long ago there. My honey hole had about 10-15lbs as of a month ago, so I should be able to get enough for two or three batches of jelly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Ship, I picked at 3 places on Thursday in Dauphin/Lebanon Counties and then on Saturday my Wife and I picked at her 1 friend's house in Loyseville Perry County. Vines were producing BUT, Something isn't right! Leaves are drying up and some grapes already have Dried and Dropped!

I've seen Super wet years and Super Dry years where the Grapes and leaves lasted on the vines well into the second to Third week of September!
Not this year! Something doesn't seem right and they are not going to last long!

The ones in Perry County, the leaves were Drier then the vines in Dauphin/Lebanon Counties and some of the Grapes were all dried up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I went to two other spots on Monday both in Perry County. The one it looks like the vines are almost dead. While walking through a group of Paw Paw trees I notices grapes all over the ground, but the vines were a solid 60 feet up.

I went to my honey hole and hit the jackpot. I got 5lbs that I could easily reach and called it a day. If I went in there with my cherry picker like I normally do I could easily get 30-40lbs. Unreal how many grapes there were from about 10ft off the ground to about 30 feet. In my 7 years of picking at this spot I have never seen so many. If it weren't for the 8 quarts of strawberry jelly I already made I would go back for more.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM

the spots I always get grapes in perry county there was not one grape on the vines or the ground and the vines look healthy. I always pick 30-50 lbs easily every year but I guess not this year. not sure what happened.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page