WILD HUCKELBERRYS/BLUE BERRIES - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

WILD HUCKELBERRYS/BLUE BERRIES

I picked a handfull of these today. the bushes were 6" to 12" off the ground and kinda of a ground cover formation and were loaded with these little beauties. i've been picking them for years and allways called them huckleberries. i found these ones on a power line, but ahve found them on the top of old strip jobs next to woods.

also lately i've been noticing tall big bushes of green blueberry shaped fruits. they get a light pink/purle color and start to dry out and the center of the berries is purple. int he spring the flowers do look like blueberry flowers however the centers are ever so slightly differnt, my buddy calls them blusberries that never turn blue, any idea what these are?

thanks

So for all you blueberry experts out there are these huckleberries of late low bush blueberries?

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
The Man

Re: WILD HUCKELBERRYS/BLUE BERRIES

Those are blueberries
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Re: WILD HUCKELBERRYS/BLUE BERRIES

Always heard that true huckleberries grow on an annual plant in the nightshade family. Blueberries grow on woody shrubs that continue to grow year after year.

As a kid, we called wild blueberries huckleberries and farmed blueberries, well, blueberries.

The outward appearance of the blue berry is nearly identical to the service berry. In fact they taste almost the same, but the service berry is a relative of the crab apple and has barely noticeable little "apple like" cores and seeds inside. Service berries get ripe around the first week of June.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page