Epsom Salt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Epsom Salt

A few years back there was discussion of using Epsom Salt for Peppers. Not sure who it was, bu I have a question. Do you side-dress the peppers with straight Epsom Salt, or do you mix it in water like Miracle grow. Either way, how much is used ? Don't want to burn up my peppers but they need a boost.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Re: Epsom Salt

I put one tablespoon in the hole when I plant them. Then after about 8 weeks, I side dress about 1 teaspoon per plant with 10-10-10 before it is going to rain. I don't mix with water. Just make sure rain is in the forecast.

No Place I'd Rather be, than UP a Tree
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Pretty Sure it was me who was telling about it....

1 Tablespoon per Gallon of water into a pump sprayer and spray the leaves of the pepper plants once a week while they are in Blossom and then again right after you start picking peppers.

IF your peppers are yellowing, Hit them with the same mix of Epsom salts and pretty much they will be green by the next day!

Your Not going to Burn Peppers with Epsom Salts, it is not a Harsh Chemical like Fertilizer is!

1 of the guys who comes into the Farm, his Wife has been MEGA DOSING ALL their Plants with Epsom salts, he has Pepper Plants that are about 4.5 feet high and Tomatoe plants that he says are pushing 6.5-7 feet tall!

He says his wife is pretty much going out each evening and using a Miracle Grow container that you use on a Garden Hose, Filling it full of Epsom Salts and Watering EVERYTHING in the Garden! His Plants are going like Mile a Minute Vine!

We will see if it has any draw backs on if over doing it produces more stem then Fruit or what, but it is not Stunting nor Burning the plants!

We found in a Commercial Catalog this spring when making orders for the Farm that you can take 4 pounds per Acre and water it in onto ALL Melons while they are producing Fruit and right before picking, it is supposed to make the Melons Sweeter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM

The Epson salt does not burn the plants but the 10-10-10 will. That's why I wait till rain is in the forecast.

No Place I'd Rather be, than UP a Tree
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM

I put one tablespoon in the bottom of the hole and stir it around in the dirt. I also mix one tablespoon in each gallon of water and give them a drink of it about every 10 days. I have great luck growing peppers now. Always heard that the leaves had to touch and several other ways to grow them The epsom salts is what they need. It has magnesium in it and what I read is that most of the east coast is low in this mineral. The bag even says use as plant nutrient. Good luck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh ya, I already know about adding a teaspoon of fertilizer to the planting hole of young plants. I burnt 1/2 my garden about 15 years ago ? Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna religiously hit them with the salts.

Seems it doesn't hurt to use on ALL garden plants correct ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Sage

I just sprinkle about a table spoon of epson salt around the base of the plants about every two weeks.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, sprinkling around the plant seems the easiest.... well without the bending over part. I'm no plant expert, but I did think there were certain plants that fed by absorption through the leaves ?

Anyhow, last night I did the sprinkle around the base. I'll let y'all know if they perk up.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 PM

I mix 10 oz of urea and 10 oz of epsom salt in a 6 gal bucket, let it set over night and then spray all my plants lightly once a week.Make sure your plants are at least 6 to 8 inches high.Urea is 46% nitrogen fertilizer.

What you don't see with your eyes,don't invent with your mouth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page