Elderberry wine - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Elderberry wine

This is my first year making from beginning to end. My father-in-law has handed down all of his winemaking stuff. Over the years I was working out of state when he made it and when we came home all I ever got to see/help him with was the racking process and bottling. This year I'm doing it all. What a fun and enjoyable hobby IMO. I got 5 gals in the secondary fermenter already. The berries were ready down stae earlier than up here in Bradford. I'm going to pick some more and start another 5 gals this sunday.

Any other home winemakers out there with any comments or advice? I have three books that I have read from front to back two-three times already. When I tested my specific gravity in the primary fermenter I had a 1.090. When I racked my wine into the glass carboy/secondary fermenter I had a specific gravity of 1.030 so I think I'm on a good start. I'm at .6 tartaric as well. Everything is looking good thus far.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Elderberry wine

I'm a little gun shy to do anything with elderberries after making jelly with them last year. It took me hours to clean the crap off of everything. What do you use to clean all of your gear off?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Green Works, it's a all natural/biodegradable cleaner. It's made from plants and minerals. Clorox actually makes it. My father-in-law mentioned something about some citronella cleaner I didn't see it when I went to my local store so I used the green stuff and some good old elbow grease. My mother-in-law makes the jelly I'll ask her what she uses. Probably that citronella stuff though.

Who is John Galt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinit
I'm a little gun shy to do anything with elderberries after making jelly with them last year. It took me hours to clean the crap off of everything. What do you use to clean all of your gear off?
Try to use glass wear if you can everything to making either jelly or wine, glass seems to not hold the green goop and a little extra dishwashing liquid soap and a scubby pad with as hot of water as you can stand takes it off..but your gonna have to add alittle extra elbow grease when scubbing!

I like the flavor of elderberry wine and jelly but somes I just by pass making them because I hate the clean up of that green goop!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinit
Use Stainless Steel Utensils, Stainles Steel Pots and Glass or Stainless Steel Bowls. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM OR WOOD!! When you are done, completely fill the bowls and pots with hot water and throw in your untensils.

In about an hour, everything will be free of any residue. You shouldn't need to scrub anything. Just wipe and rinse.

As far as the "Green Goop" residue goes... buy a Steam Juicer. Good ones are made in Finland and are VERY expensive, but they save alot of trouble when processing Elderberrys, especially the juice making and clean-up. I got my stainless unit on Craigslist for the asking price of $60. It originally sold for well over $225.

Gooooooooogle: Steam Juicer or Mehu Maya

For drips or globs of Jelly, or spatter of juice, Wet a paper towel or a sponge with hot water, wring it out a little and lay it directly of the area you want cleaned,let it set five minutes. It wipes right up.

CLean-up can take less than 15 minutes, with NO effort or elbow grease at all.

A Satirical look into Pa outdoors, any corelation to real people or events is purely coincidental.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Started another 5 gals of wine yesterday. Just added the yeast about an hour ago.

Who is John Galt?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Regular Visitor

How many pounds of berries per gallon are you using?

I made 5 gallons last year and used 15 pounds. I was hoping to make 10 gallons this year but have not had time to pick enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first batch was 12 lbs exactly, my second batch was 12.5.

Who is John Galt?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page