Tilling ? How bout NO TILL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Tilling ? How bout NO TILL

I was recently able to make the acquaintance of a master gardener from Tennessee. As spring was approaching, we got to talking about gardening (how I found out he was a master gardener). Well, he plants a variety of things to benefit food banks, nursing homes, etc... even fresh cut flowers. Said his method is "almost" organic, but said there are a few things that just requires spray, or they simply won't make it. The interesting thing he mentioned though, he does not till the soil. Says the soil structure and worms, etc... are too critical to lose. After some thought, I totally agree. If you have mulch, whether it be leaves, clipppings, newspaper, whatever, ready to go, simply turn over the small required space to get the plant(s) in. If you think about it, garden plant roots are small, and contained to an area the size of a shovel head or two. You mechanically till the entire area, only to compact it down by constantly walking on it.

Well anyhow, he convinced me to give it a go this year. The key seems to be having the weed suppressor (mulch) ready and on-hand early on.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM

Re: Tilling ? How bout NO TILL

That's one of the ideas behind raised beds. Once you mix up all the stuff inside the bed, you shouldn't have to till again. Just mix in some compost at the beginning of each season. Haven't used my tiller since I built my beds 2 years ago. So much easier, and space saving, then row gardening.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

i grow wheat in the fall to die off through the winter. then just put plants in. already mulched & stays fairly weed free

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
The Man

There's still a place for tilling, but if you play your cards right you might only have to till once, ever. If you put down new compost and mulch every year, keep it weeded,and keep it well covered, you won't have to break sod again. Some years I expanded the garden by covering the area I wanted to add the next year with a tarp all summer to kill the grass, and the next year the dirt was ready to work without tilling.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page