Morel hunting. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Morel hunting.

Anyone else ready for spring? I've had enough winter. This Spring will begin my first season hunting for edible mushrooms. Looking forward to it. I've never paid mushrooms much attention over the years. I have identified several edible species in the past but this year is the first I plan to collect some. Starting with the elusive morel. I remember a few patches I would see in the spring fishing and scouting turkeys back home a few hours away. These patches I saw were 15 years ago or more. I might take the drive out and check it out again but I'd like to locate some closer to home.

I can remember the most morels I saw were in an old apple orchard on my grandmothers farm. Old and overgrown, lots of brush and dead trees down. Now the land I have to hunt for them now has no apples, but hundreds of acres of oak. Both red and white but mostly white. Anyone ever have luck finding them in the Oaks? Or should I start my hunting farther down the mountain along the brook. Seems brushier down there with more maple and ash?

Not looking for anyones hot spots or secrets, just a few tips.

Thanks

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Morel hunting.

I've always had good luck around Tulip Poplars as well as the old orchards. I save at least two packs of back straps every year, to go with the first Morels of the season. One of my favorite meals of the year!!!

A snake don't taste like chicken it tastes like snake!!
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Wish I had the will power to save some backstraps. They are long gone. Nothing but burger, stew, and speedie chunks left.

Thanks

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

The morels would also be good with the speedie chunks, I bet!! Save some and give em a try.

A snake don't taste like chicken it tastes like snake!!
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Sage

I too found many growing around Tulip Poplars, espically when Mayapples are growing there.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM

Typically they are found around Poplar, Ash, old Apple, and by far my very favorite and most productive, Elm hit by Dutch Elm Disease.

I'd stay out of the Oak forests in spring, but keep them in mind for Chanterelles in early July, and Hens in the fall.

I'd rather hunt Morels than any game species. Good Luck.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Part of the Community

Most of my experience with hunting morels is in Montana where they love to come up in areas that were hit by fires the previous year. We had 2 such areas last summer within a couple miles of us that burned around 40,000 acres. That's plenty of room to spread out, but the problem is that everyone knows to go to these major forest fire burn areas, so there will be lots of competition hunting them there this coming spring.

Last year was pretty dry, and practically a bust for morels, but the year before was a record snowfall and moisture year, and we had a banner year for morels all over.

We also find lots of morels along the river corridors, especially under old cottonwood trees. River islands are also an especially good area to look for them, and if I were up around Tidioute, for example (seeing Beardaw that posted earlier is from there), I'd love to look for them on some of the islands along the Allegheny River.

In fact, if I were on some of those islands along the Allegheny river, I'd marvel at seeing some of those majestic, stately old trees that grow on those islands, and dream of what it must have been like there a few hundred years ago, when indians pulled their canoes up onto the shoreline, hunted deer and other wildgame, gathered nuts and berries, and (perhaps) also found an abundant supply of mushrooms there.

John
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Can't wait for Morel season! I do most of my hunting in Washington County, and find the majority of my morels around dead elms. I target them while in the woods, they are easy to identify and normally have morels under thier canopies. If you can find them with most of thier bark still attatched you'll find more shrooms. I've also found them by poplars and apple trees.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Helped me make a game plan. I'll still try to get out to the old orchard once this spring once I find some around here. As far as closer to home I have a long stretch of brook that I know has ash, hopefully some elm that I will start with this spring.

Semper Fi
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Can't wait for Morel season! I do most of my hunting in Washington County,
Hey, Hey, Hey. Whoaaaaaaaaa !!!

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page