Bee keeping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Bee keeping

getting into keeping bees have my boxes need suggestions on hoods and any protective clothing

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 AM
The Man

Re: Bee keeping

I only wear a veil and gloves most of the time. But, I do have a suit that I wear occasionally......

These are the gloves I wear:

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3335&grouped=1

and this is the suit that I have...

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3332&grouped=1

I have this veil in addition to the one that comes with the suit above:

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3330&grouped=1

this is the one that I wear most of the time....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Wear pants I always wear shorts and get stung in the calf. I'm not smart enough to learn to remember even if it's 90 out to put pants on before I go to the hives. I don't wear gloves because I find I pay more attention to where my hands go when I'm pulling frames and inspecting the hives. I've yet to get stung on the hand but my brother has been. It's a great hobby bees are some of the best "pets" you can have they're clean, feed themselves(after the first year), and you can sell honey and make money not many other pets offer that.

It's a great hobby and a lot of fun good luck with it and I'll give some advice that a 20 year beekeeper gave me when I started "Bees are bees. They know how to be a bee better than you do. Let them be bees. If they want to requeen let them, If they want to swarm let them and try to catch the swarm by putting another box with some frames that have honey in them nearby you just got a free $80."

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good advice matty, I am going into my third spring as a beekeeper. The first year I only had one hive and I lost it in a major september flood. This past spring I caught 2 swarms and had one package of bees, I also removed three hives from houses. So far three of my hives are still going. I just let them do their thing and not worry about constant inspecting and looking over the frames etc. I pull them from time to time but more to satisfy my own curiosity. If they are going to die I'm probably not going to be able to save them, if they are doing well I dont want to mess them up. Hopefully I will be able to harvest some honey this year.

I always wear a jacket, veil and gloves when handling my bees. I dont like getting stung and I've taken plenty of stings already. Mostly when removing established hives from a house. They are much more aggressive when they have honey and brood to protect.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM

Can I buy some honey?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

White Tyvek coveralls work. They are cheap and bees won't sting through them. The major drawback is that they don't breathe and you will get hot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Brewyak clean out your pm box when you have time.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Pm box cleaned out didn'trealize I had that many old ones in there

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have a veil an suit but I only wear the veil there is times when I just put on a hat an sunglasses, don't wear any dark clothes an make sure that they don't stink like sweat. gloves are a choice but I highly suggest to leave them behind they make your fingers bulky and just all around easier to work without them. rubber band your pant legs you don't want one up you pants. if you haven't got the bees yet might be to late to order them now but if your goin to get into beekeeping get beekeeping for dummies it is just the best out of the 4 books I have read about it and tells you everything as a beginner or even seasoned keeper just a great book an good read it is what gave me the kick to order my first hive. I got it on my kindle and I will probly but in it had copy just to have around.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page