tapping for syrup yet? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

tapping for syrup yet?

These couple warmer days put me in the mood to start tapping. I cut a small maple out of the way last Sunday and the sap ran pretty good. Guess it is time to gather up the gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
The Man

Re: tapping for syrup yet?

My neighbor had his trees tapped and ran sap the last warm spell we had. Don't know how much he got, but I know he got some anyway.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yea, I"m getting the itch. Almost tapped that last warm spell we had but held off. I heard some guys that did tap the other week had pretty good runs of sap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hope to get mine in this weekend. Hoping for a better year than I had last year!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 AM
hdt
Banned

We put 14 taps out yesterday morning. We only got a bit over 8 gallons of sap so far but it was only sunny for a short while yesterday. We'll propbably put out a couple dozen taps next week or so.

We only make a few gallons of syrup each spring and probably couldn't do that much if we didn't get free gas from some wells on our property.

I can't go back to the thick artificial stuff and we're down to just over a pint left from last year. It makes great gifts for the friends that apreciate it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt
We put 14 taps out yesterday morning. We only got a bit over 8 gallons of sap so far but it was only sunny for a short while yesterday. We'll propbably put out a couple dozen taps next week or so.

We only make a few gallons of syrup each spring and probably couldn't do that much if we didn't get free gas from some wells on our property.

I can't go back to the thick artificial stuff and we're down to just over a pint left from last year. It makes great gifts for the friends that apreciate it.
I appreciate it, friend.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Does anyone know where you can buy the equipment other than online for tapping trees.

4B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
hdt
Banned

Most sugar houses also sale at least some equipment. It's easiest to buy the taps, but everything else can be improvised with milk jugs, five gallon buckets etc..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt

I appreciate it, friend.
hey buddy

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
sip
New Arrival

I finished up about 1 gallon last night.
This will be our 3rd year making syrup. It is a good start for us. First year we got about a gallon last year we got a little over a gallon. we already have almost that much and I think we should still have a couple of weeks left. We tapped 3 big trees with 2 taps per tree and we boil it down on a turkey fryer. The girls gave some to their grandparents and we finished up the rest about october. My 9 year old wants to expand and sell it but the cost of propane would kill us. we did do a profit and loss statement last year just for fun to see how much we would have to sell it for and to show them how hard it is to make money. I just enjoy the process.
She enjoys being the boss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page