new garden help!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

new garden help!!

I just got moved in to our new home we built. Its all mountain ground that i had to clear out for the house and septic. Now i want to put a garden in. The soil is poor and very sandy. Doesnt hold water at all. Im thinking of atleast a 20x30ft garden. What all can i do to improve the soil quality for this spring to have a nice garden? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Sage

Re: new garden help!!

Put in raised beds and fill them with good soil that you amend with peat moss or compost. Just googlr raised bed gardening and you can probly find free plans.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd place an ad now..looking for free clean clay fill dirt. Get 2 or 3 triaxle loads delivered. buy one triaxle of sifted top soil. Rent a skid steer for a day, dig down 18" or so, and push your fill in, and cover it up with the top soil. Do a ph test, and lime and fertilize from there. Should last forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i like the raised bed idea myself. i have been slowly converting my 20x60 veg garden over to them every year. i will do the last 3 or 4 this spring. i make them 4x8 out of pressure treated 2x10's. i nail them together with 20P nails and fill them with dirt. i then use peices of old pool cover stapled over top with holes cut in for the plants. at the end of the year i rip off the old pool cover and toss it. if i feel energetic in the fall i heap ground up leaves on top of the beds and then use a little mantis tiller to grind it up in the spring before i start all over. theres cheaper wood to use out there but that pressure treated stuff lasts forever.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM

I converted my 20x70 into 10 raised beds. I used 4x8x16 concrete blocks. I used the original soil, peat moss, old pool sand, and leaf compost in each bed. I left about 20" paths around the beds which I filled with mulch. I get all the leaf compost and mulch at the township facility for free. The blocks are standing on end, so you can use the holes for pvc hoops, or fencing stake holes. Blocks were cheaper then using pressure treated.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Raised bed and soil....the soil is the most important. Spend the money up front and get good soil if you can. Soil makes the garden, also fencing, and location are important......see where that sun is all day in the summer.... good luck.

Bradford County WMU3C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page