Starting first garden tomorrow...any tips? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Starting first garden tomorrow...any tips?

My wife and I are starting our first garden tomorrow. So far we're thinking of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and asparagus...
Does anyone have any tips for any of the above? Is there anything else that is easy to plant/grow?
Any spacing tips?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Live at full draw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Sage

Re: Starting first garden tomorrow...any tips?

Asparagus isn't all the easy and you can't harvest for a couple of years after planting the roots, by not easy I mean they need care. I don't grow it because I don't have the room for it but there are guys here that can help you with it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Funny you mention how hard it can be to get going. I JUST emailed this to my buddy, lamenting the fact that my attempt has failed for the second consecutive year now.

Quote:
You could be right on the soil I reckon, but I really haven't had a problem with any other type of vegetable. Not to say these aren't different. I can care less about the $20. It just pizzes me off that I'm not eating (nor will be in the near future) fresh asparagus.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How are you starting it? Tilling a bare spot or using a raised bed? The first year is about getting the soil right. Mix in some mushroom soil or manure the first few years to get some nutrients into the soil. I like to put my cucumbers in a spot where they won't shade out something else. I'd put a cage around the tomatoes to keep them from getting too wide. This will allow you to control how much space that they take up. I don't have any experience with the other two. IMO, Snow peas and carrots are pretty easy to grow and neither takes up much space.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 PM

I just plants 35 asparagus crowns last Sunday and it was grueling work to say the least. I just started my first garden this year as well and the virgin ground was not very good. I mixed 4 tons of mushroom manure, 100lbs of peat, several bags of sand, lime, wood stove ash, and anything else organic that I could find around the yard to give it a kickstart. I turned it all under in the beginning of March and then turned it all again in mid Aprl. Then for the Asparagus patch I went off. You see, you have only one shot at making that soil right and it best be right cause it's going to be there for the next 20-30 years. Organics are key as far as I have read. I mixed and mixed grass clippings, manure, and leaves until my arms were going to call off. I did it all by hand to get deep enough. When I was done the soil was nothing like it was originally. I then dug my 10" deep trenches for the crowns and planted them. The next day I had a great rain and a few sprouted. Yesterday more. By the weekend I pretty much expect them all to be up and moving. By next week I should be able to put somem more soil in the trenches and go from there. Planning a trip to the nursery this weekend for all the other plants I want. Planning Cuccumbers, tomatoes, red peppers, a few hot pepper plants, a water mellow plant, Zuchinni, and I'm going to plant broccoli in early july for a Oct harvest. May plant some beans too but I am running out of room lol! Good luck with yours!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

green beans are really easy to grow and good producers

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Plant some zucchini's. They're fail proof! Just don't blame me when you can't give them away.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

we got some beetle that always gets mine or they get that fungus, i ussually get a good crop though before that happens. i planted onions this year and they are doing great. potatoes are pretty easy too.did those last year and had a ton of them.

this year is mostly peppers for me, i always plant a buch of stuff for other people but this year i am planting what i like

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Find a friend who owns a horse, then show up with a shovel.

"Test all things and hold fast to that which is true."
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Also, here's what I do...
1. Oct or November, sow spinach seeds, plant Swiss chard.
2. March, plant potatoes.
3. April eat spinach and Swiss chard.
4. May-June, Eat more spinach and new potatoes.Plant chives, rosemary, oregano, thyme.
5. June, Pull up potatoes, spinach, chard; plant cukes, zukes, tomatoes, peppers, string beans.
6 July, eat zukes when they reach 6-10"
7. August, September:Eat everything else. Plant Broccoli.
8. September-October: Pull up cukes, zukes, tomatoes, peppers, beans. Plant Swiss chard, broccoli; sow spinach seeds for spring.
9. October-November, eat Swiss chard and broccoli.

This way you have three crops from April through November.

"Test all things and hold fast to that which is true."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page