Young Peach Tree Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Young Peach Tree Questions

Hi,
I am hoping to find some advice on peach trees.
I got 4 seedlings about 3 months ago and planted them in the yard.
2 are really thriving and 2 are doing ok.
1 of the 2 ok looking trees is not at green as the others, and the leaves on top of it are curling into what resembels hollow cigars..
The trees are about 1 foot tall, and I have been making sure they have enough water. I dont see any insects on them, but I dont know what lies beneath the ground. If I post a pic can some one here help me? I also need to know what should be done to winterize them.
Thanks to all who reply.
Roland

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
The Man

Re: Young Peach Tree Questions

Your problem sounds like the disease called "Leaf Curl". It wont kill your tree, just reduce its vigor. Not sure what they have for home owners to control it, but if you can get hold of the fungicide Ferbam, spray that on all your peach trees next spring before bud swell.

To get them ready for winter, paint the trunks white up to the first set of limbs. Put wire or plastic tree wraps around the trunk and you are ready to go.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain
Your problem sounds like the disease called "Leaf Curl". It wont kill your tree, just reduce its vigor. Not sure what they have for home owners to control it, but if you can get hold of the fungicide Ferbam, spray that on all your peach trees next spring before bud swell.

To get them ready for winter, paint the trunks white up to the first set of limbs. Put wire or plastic tree wraps around the trunk and you are ready to go.
Lost,

He said Seedlings....
Does that mean he took peach seeds and planted them to grow?

I know my Mom has taken peaches from her tree that produces nice peaches and planted seeds to try and get trees going...I had bought that peach tree for her back in 1998 from a Garden catalog.....I know for a fact it was a Grafted peach tree....you could see the graft area when it came in the mail....all the seedlings she has started grow real good till they are about 4 foot tall and then start to get leaf curl on them and they then drop over dead...

might be the same thing going on??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lost, Woody,
I got the seedlings from a lady a mile down the road. She had them listed on craigslist for $1.00 each, but gave them to me since she didnt have many takers. I asked if she knew what kind of peaches and she told me tasty ones. It seems that her boy friend / husband bought a case of peaches last year from some where, the kids and everyone ate them and threw the pitts into a compost heap out the back. This spring they started growing so she posted them instead of throwing them away. Can this disease effect the other trees? If so should i ripp the infected one out? the others seem to be doing very well.
Here are some pics of the seedling in question.

Once again I thank you for helping out.
Roland

Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 PM
The Man

Roland, what you have pictured there is not the dreaded leaf curl. Those pics make it look more like the tree isnt getting enough moisture, soft of how corn looks late in summer with the lack of rain. The pale leaves even though they are good sized, also indicate a lack of nutrition. At this time of year you dont want to fertilize any more, but next spring, use a water soluable fertilizer like miracle grow(Walmart brand is cheaper).

Getting fruit trees from seeds is always a crap shoot, you never know if they will grow true to the seed.

The disease of leaf curl can get to other trees, but it is not a killer in the short term. I wouldnt pull out or cut down a tree that had it.

Since you have nothing invested in them other then time, let them keep growing as best they can. Since they are small, try to get a fence around them to protect them from critters. Bunnies will love them in teh winter when it snows if they arent protected.

Next spring when they leave out, start pulling off the leaves from the bottom and cut the top off down about 2 leaves. what you want to do is force branches out from 4 leaves at different sides. Dont worry if you then that grow out, they can be trimmed off in another year when you try to balance out the scaffold branches. You should know in another 2 years if the trees are worth keeping.

Here is a pic of leaf curl, the disease

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain
Roland, what you have pictured there is not the dreaded leaf curl. Those pics make it look more like the tree isnt getting enough moisture, soft of how corn looks late in summer with the lack of rain. The pale leaves even though they are good sized, also indicate a lack of nutrition. At this time of year you dont want to fertilize any more, but next spring, use a water soluable fertilizer like miracle grow(Walmart brand is cheaper).

Getting fruit trees from seeds is always a crap shoot, you never know if they will grow true to the seed.

The disease of leaf curl can get to other trees, but it is not a killer in the short term. I wouldnt pull out or cut down a tree that had it.

Since you have nothing invested in them other then time, let them keep growing as best they can. Since they are small, try to get a fence around them to protect them from critters. Bunnies will love them in teh winter when it snows if they arent protected.

Next spring when they leave out, start pulling off the leaves from the bottom and cut the top off down about 2 leaves. what you want to do is force branches out from 4 leaves at different sides. Dont worry if you then that grow out, they can be trimmed off in another year when you try to balance out the scaffold branches. You should know in another 2 years if the trees are worth keeping.

Here is a pic of leaf curl, the disease
Your picture is what my Mom's had gotten that she started from the seeds...

from the looks of roland45's pictures... looks like he needs to lay the garden hose down at the base and let it lay there running for a few hours at night for a few days and soak the ground down good!

My Old Neighbor put in Fig, Apple and Pear Trees 4 years ago....I kept telling him to go out each evening and lay the garden hose at the base and let it soak the ground good for the leaves were curling from not enough water.....he ended up buying a bunch of chemicals for blights and blossom end rot and other fungies trees get (it was his first time every trying to grow fruit bearering trees)....after he sprayed for a week with no results, I had to dig a hole beside the trees and show him how dry the ground was around them.....

After he started watering them GOOD each evening...they bounced back and took off good and are now doing very GOOD for him!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Woody Lost,
I went outside this evening and pulled the mulch away from it. the ground was as hard as a rock and dry. i took a 12 inch phillips head and poked some holes around the sappling and dumped a gallon of water on it. It seems that the dirt i had packed around it hardened up with so little rain the last week or so. My hose wont reach that far so all I could do was to spray about 5 gallons on it just before dark. I will keep watching / watering it untill we get some rain.
Ill post a few more pics in a few days. Thanks for the help.
Roland

Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Might want to make yourself a Slow Drip 5 gallon water bucket...

Take a 5 gallon water bucket that you will can spare... drill a small hole in 1 side of it at the bottom...place something in the hole to plug it so you can fill, then remove to let water come out...

Fill bucket, put a lid on it and then place right beside the small sapling.....remove stopper and let it slowly drain the water right against the sapling and slowly go down into the roots... this way, it reachs the areas needed better then Dumping 5 gallons straight on to the area!

Simply fill, place at 1 sapling, let it slowly seep out thru the night and next night do another sapling.....

I personally do not understand it....but a slow seep over time works a heck of a lot BETTER then a Full dump at 1 time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page