How's the Garden 2010 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

How's the Garden 2010

Figured I'd start the thread this year. How's everyone's garden so far. My garlic is between 5-10" tall, planted two varieties in early November, and my onions, red, white, yellow and sweet, are 2-3", planted about 2 weeks ago. I built a raised area in a wasted spot in the garden, lined it with flat stone about 14" deep, and along the sides, and planted horseradish. I put in radishes on Sunday and put in 17 crowns of aspharagus this evening. The cabbage, broccoli, and kohlrabi plants will be put in this week and the lettuce, beets and carrot seeds will also be put in. A few of my tomato and pepper plants already have blossoms/buds on them. I had to move my tomoatos (65 plants)to my sister in laws greenhouse because I ran out of room in the house. I have to replace two of the 30 blueberry bushes I put in last year because they did not make the winter and I am putting in another row of raspberries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 AM
TEE

Re: How's the Garden 2010

I got a late start this year since my son was born on 3/25 and the rain. I planted some brocoli, cauliflower,and the onion bulbs. I used seed packs for the leaf lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots.

In early May I will add the tomato plants, peppers, cucumbers and swiss chard.
post #3 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 AM

Mine is tilled and sitting. I am not risking any plantings before the end of May with how crazy and unpredictable this weather has been since Feb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Spinach is 2" high. Sweet spanish onions I started from seed & transplanted are starting to catch. I put 2 rows of Yukon gold and 2 rows of red norland taters in last fri. Tomatoes, peppers, cabbages, sweet basil, etc. have been out on my deck table for a week or so now. Cabbages need to go in. Zuch, cuke and eggplant seeds are started. Sweet taters are sprouting slips.
post #5 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Onions 4" tall, spinnach is about 1", snow peas just came up today and potatoes just got planted yesterday.
post #6 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll probably till the 16th or 18th and have my first plantings in the ground the same day. I have some lettuce starting out in planters, but this hot weather has not been kind to it. I'm working on designing a strawberry pyramid which I hope to have done the week of the 19th and have my strawberrys in by the 24th.
post #7 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 AM

I planted my tomatoes in the hot box last weekend. I'm keeping it very simple this year, tomatoes, corn, and peppers. Maybe a couple of other things.
post #8 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

i tilled it under once and thats about it. my peppers are growing pretty good other than that just kinda waiting

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #9 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Planted my taters today. I never had a garden before cause my dad always did and I would help him a little. Since he is gone now I will have to do things myself. I wish I would of taken a little more interest in it for more than one reason.
My dad always said plant the taters on the 100th day or there abouts.

Ralph O.
post #10 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
The Man

I already tilled and now I'm just waiting for the last chance of frost, Have a bunch of seedlings in the sun room. I'm not sure when is a safe time to put them in. I have hot pepper, mixed variety pepper, roma tomatoes and big boy tomatoes. Also the Eggplant.

When is a safe time to plant them Eric?

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page